sblantipodi

Intel SSD DC S3500 M.2 is here, ehm, it's near!

LOL. What did you think you cared about? I'm not sold on M.2 personally. As to Intel specifically, a different set of issues.

LOL. What did you think you cared about? I'm not sold on M.2 personally. As to Intel specifically, a different set of issues.

I'm completely sold on M.2.

SATA6 is a dead interface who limit the differentiation between drives and stopped the pleasure of the upgrade.

Every SATA6 drives are equal, there is not a real king between SATA6 drives because SATA6 is a bottleneck.

If you don't agree with this there is something that I don't understood since you are the drives master. ^_^

Eh, I think you're wrong about that. SATA 6 drives are not all the same, there's a wild difference between the 850 Pro and the 840 EVO. Arguing the point makes you seem silly ;)

M.2 is just a form factor. That and performance are not synonymous. It's also something that's not even close to standard in computing. I'd be shocked to see M.2 survive.

Eh, I think you're wrong about that. SATA 6 drives are not all the same, there's a wild difference between the 850 Pro and the 840 EVO. Arguing the point makes you seem silly ;)

M.2 is just a form factor. That and performance are not synonymous. It's also something that's not even close to standard in computing. I'd be shocked to see M.2 survive.

Silly is people who call others silly because of their ignorance or stupidity but I'm sure that this is not your case Brian.

I buy disks as per your suggestion since years so I really care your point of view on disks but I'm trying to understand your point.

Sata6 drives are capped in performance from the interface.

From the graphs I see from your review:

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_850_pro_review

all this drives are identical.

A faster drive IMHO, is a drive that give you 30% more at least.

In your graphs no disks is able to outperform the other by 30%. So this drives are all the same more or less.

M.2 interface or SATA Express enable drives to "loose the bottleneck" deriving from the interface so why don't you like this?

Hah, fair enough. My point is just that all SATA is not the same. When you get into heavier workloads the cream really separates.

It's not that I don't like it, I like everything to go faster, except vacations. For 99% of the world though, they don't need it or want to pay for it, so I think anything that goes faster than today's SSDs for mainstream populations are a waste. That's why there's little adoption for new interfaces.

Hah, fair enough. My point is just that all SATA is not the same. When you get into heavier workloads the cream really separates.

It's not that I don't like it, I like everything to go faster, except vacations. For 99% of the world though, they don't need it or want to pay for it, so I think anything that goes faster than today's SSDs for mainstream populations are a waste. That's why there's little adoption for new interfaces.

My hope is to buy more for the same money.

Today in Italy a 850 PRO 250GB costs 150€.

I hope to buy a 250GB at the same price in a year or two but with M.2 or Sata Express and obviously faster.

I'm quite bothered to see a 550MB transfer rate with a Max IOPS of about 100K.

My three years drive is able of similar performance, this means that there is clearly something that doesn't works with the current drives.

Mechanical drive has reached their best and it is clear that performance improvement is little over years but solid drives has no excuse.