Sign in to follow this  
eshap

So what's the situation with HGST?

Following what Brian said...

Untrue. HGST still makes 3.5" product. Toshiba took over several lines but HGST still makes their own drives.

So what's the deal with HGST? Why isn't it just dubbed Western Digital now? Are the models that Toshiba's 3.5" drives based on still produced by HGST or is HGST now targeting just enterprise?

Edited by eshap

The best way to think of it is two completely separate and isolated companies that both dump profits into the same pool.

HGST makes client drives too. The Chinese government won't allow the companies to fully integrate. So what you'll see is two separate companies like Kevin said, and then WD and HGST may sort of fake their way into better alignment by dropping competitive products or segmenting them so they stratify within a product category.

• Like 1

Seems pointless. I don't think the Chinese can tell what's going on inside the companies. Surely there's common hardware and software by now?

What about Toshiba vs HGST? Any overlap? Still common hardware/software?

In my neck of the woods, not the US, HGST is more or less gone in 3.5".

Edited by eshap

Seems pointless. I don't think the Chinese can tell what's going on inside the companies. Surely there's common hardware and software by now?

Nope. Still kept completely separate. I know the hardware definitely is and I suspect the software is, too.