zoolooemperor

New internal drives for data storage

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to purchasing two drives for a new PC.

• They will operate together in a software RAID1-like environment - I'll be using the "Storage Spaces" feature of Windows 8. I'll probably move to a 2-drive redundancy in the future.
  • They will be used solely for data storage purposes, and they will function as the source from which the data would be backed up elsewhere.
  • I'm not concerned too much about performance.
  • By no means they are intended for a NAS - they are for my own PC - so absolutely no 24/7 operation. It's a home environment, but the drives will be installed right next to each other.
  • I was thinking about capacities of no more than 4 terabytes.

All in all "reliability" is the top (and sole) priority. By "reliability" I mean the drive that currently has the best reputation.

I've been out of the loop for a while and I really need your help.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by zoolooemperor

The most recent Backblaze stats suggest HGST (formerly Hitachi) as the most reliable by a wide margin. Bear in mind Backblaze uses consumer drives for 24/7 operation, and does not include stats for Samsung or Toshiba. They haven't bought enough samples to include those - yet.

1) I'm familiar with that paper and its predecessor. You can't ignore the results, in both reports the HGST drives have proved to be far more reliable. Should I just follow the report and get a drive by HGST?

That Backblaze report is the only serious, substantial hard drive reliability-related document I managed to find. And it's also recent and relevant.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Samsung were no longer making 3.5" hard drives?

1) I don't place much value in that study. With small quantities you're looking at luck either way you go.

2) You're right, Samsung is only shipping the 2TB 2.5" product and some legacy stuff.

I really just recommend what fits your budget and capacity needs...my personal lean however is toward HGST.

1) I don't place much value in that study. With small quantities you're looking at luck either way you go.

Brian, what would qualify as a large quantity? Their earlier report showed 12,956 Hitachi drives in service. I'm unaware of any larger group having their stats reported. I'd think anything over 1,000 would be a useful sample size, provided they were bought gradually.

I really just recommend what fits your budget and capacity needs...my personal lean however is toward HGST.

After checking things out it appears that Hitachi drives have a really problematic availability where I live. A tiny portion of the lineup is offered, and the models that are available are priced irrationally high, with a ridiculous one year warranty. Western Digital (including the Red series), Seagate and Toshiba drives are much more common. So with that in mind, what would you prefer other than the Hitachis?

Thanks

Maybe there are still HGST stocks, though I'm not sure how. As far as I can tell, HGST's 3.5" drive production is Toshiba's since 2012 (bought by WD initially then sold to Toshiba).

Edited by eshap

Untrue. HGST still makes 3.5" product. Toshiba took over several lines but HGST still makes their own drives.

> With small quantities you're looking at luck either way you go.

Brian, what would qualify as a large quantity? Their earlier report showed 12,956 Hitachi drives in service. I'm unaware of any larger group having their stats reported. I'd think anything over 1,000 would be a useful sample size, provided they were bought gradually.

What I think Brian means is that your sample size will be small. So even if there are small differences in drive reliability, it will be down to bad luck if you get a failure.

You could argue that the failure rates of the Seagate drives reported there are "significantly higher" rather than "slightly higher". however, they're testing in an extreme environment with many discs producing vibrations. As far as I know that's the wekaest spot of that study. It mainly shows how well the drives fare under high-vibration environments, which does not have to be linked to how well they perform elsewhere.

MrS

..... drive reliability, it will be down to bad luck if you get a failure.

Exactly. In a small consumer scenario, I buy the cheapest drives and use backup or parity to counter any failures. Anything, everything on the shelves is already outdated. Why spend big money? Get the most bang for buck.

My multi terabyte arrays (60tb now) is using a mobo/cpu/ram I found in a dumpster at work with some $35 sata 4port pci-express specials. I don't care. It crunches numbers. Reads over 350Mb/sec sustained too. Raid6 via mdadm and xfs. Cached doesn't count in real world situations.

Maybe I'm just more resourceful. Who knows.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I'm also looking for an external, portable (USB-powered) external drive with a minimum capacity of 2TB (I'm mentioning this here in order to avoid the opening of an additional thread).

Really anything, I'd pick a desktop drive that's affordable with good warranty.

Would you say this guideline applies to external, portable drives as well?

Or is it that in this case there are some drives that are clear winners, reputation/reliability wise?

Thanks!

USB powered means you're limited to 2.5" drives. As far as I know there's only the Seagate / Samsung Spinpoint M9T offering 2 TB (with 3x667 platters) in a single package of standard 9.5 mm height. Others my offer enclosures with this same drive.

Edit: Toshiba and WD also have 2 TB drives by now, but both are non-standard 15 mm high. I would say the Spinpoint is better because it could also be used within a laptop (as 2nd drive), should you wish to do so later on.

MrS

Edited by [ETA]MrSpadge

In the US the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB (STDR2000100), containing the Spinpoint M9T, has been going for as little as $80 as we approach Black Friday. Much cheaper than you can find the bare drive. That would be my choice, even if the price wasn't so attractive.

Any particular reason the drive is especially recommended?

Edit: The current model number listed for the Backup Plus Slim in Seagate's website is STDR2000200.

I guess that makes STDR2000100 with the Spinpoint M9T a discontinued model?

Edit 2: I specified the wrong model, the current model listed is STDR2000200.

Edited by zoolooemperor

Yes, the reasons I mentioned.

Thinner = better compatibility

3 platters instead of 4 = lower noise & power consumption, higher sequential transfer speed

I don't know what's inside the STDR1000202, but I think it's unlikely to be a fundamentally different drive. Maybe it's just different case design.

MrS

Anyone knows what has changed in the STDR2000200 compared to the STDR2000100, and what drive actually rests inside the STDR2000200?

And upon receiving the drive is there a safe method to check the internal drive's model? (safe as in without opening the enclosure...)

I don't know about the model # change, but yeah, the newer STDR2000200 is still the Samsung M9T inside.

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/backup-plus-fam/backup-plus-portable-drive-v2/en-gb/docs/backup-plus-portable-drive-v3-ds1803-5-1312gb.pdf

Makes me think it might be a new case plus the color variations possible on the new case.