Sign in to follow this  
eshap

Wire ends sticking out of motor cable on Toshiba HDDs?

I noticed that in Toshiba's 3.5" HDDs, at least some of them, there are wire ends sticking out from the solder joints on the HDD motor cable, near the motor. Maybe it's the same as when these drives were Hitachi. What's up with that? I don't recall seeing something similar on other manufacturers' drives.

EqdlNXs.jpg

More example photos: this one, and another one.

post-3526-0-30334900-1416255688_thumb.jp

Edited by eshap

Unless they're sticking out so far as to cause shorts, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just looked at a random drive I have here, it's got a shield over the PCB to motor connector at the motor end (spindle end) so the connectors are covered, but a second random drive doesn't have such a shield, I just see visible solder (no pointy wire ends sticking out). A third random drive is like the first one.

Just leftover blobs of solder. Different motor vendors do that a little differently even on the same HDD model (some might cover with epoxy or apply solder differently).

Not worried, just curious. It looks a bit strange and hackish.

Mickey, I don't mean the solder but the wires.

Samsung F1 have a different oddity. Looks like the wires are running from the solder blobs into an open central hole. Couldn't get it to focus well, but you can see it vaguely:
WvvgUQT.jpg

Seagate 7200.11 are the neatest. Also not even using a flex cable, and the component side of the PCB is facing into the drive. But we all know how's reliability. :)
GDpiOS4.jpg

Interestingly, the poking wires are evident, although to a lesser degree, also in IBMs. Also the exposed test points. The IBM heritage still shows!

IBM Dethstar (2001):
qHJZ2kgl.jpg

IBM DTTA (1999):
xlgDtVtl.jpg

In the only unconnected WDC I have, an old one, the large PCB covers the motor area.

And this concludes the HDD motor connection study. For the time being. :)

post-3526-0-25649100-1416257603_thumb.jp

post-3526-0-81029900-1416257608_thumb.jp

post-3526-0-53245500-1416257617_thumb.jp

post-3526-0-12663600-1416257629_thumb.jp

Edited by eshap

Different motor vendors have "preferred" methods for laying out the motor flex and solder points. Certain designs opt to use one large exit hole for all the motor leads, while others use 4 (or sometimes 3) smaller holes.

As for the original picture, if those are wires poking out beyond the solder, I agree it looks sloppy.