Sign in to follow this  
kspoon

Replacing primary hard drive Lenovo W520

Hi,

I have read your article on upgrading memory and hard drive for the W520. From a hardware point of view I think that gave me enough information to upgrade my hard drive.

From a software and data restore point of view, however, it seems to me I will need to re-install windows and all software I had previously installed, back up and restore all other data using an external hard drive. Is there a better way to do this? Backing up and restoring data might not be too bad, I just need to find an external hard drive big enough to store all my files. Software, however, is more of a pain, I have accumulated a lot of software over the years, finding and re-installing them could be a painful process. Also, I am sure I can't install a standard version of windows on my laptop as a lot of hardware features on the laptop will not work. (e.g. I will need to find the appropriate driver for my lenovo specific mouse pad for W520).

Any idea guys? I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelvin

A "standard OS" should work just fine. The folder for the drivers and software mentioned by continuum should be "C:\SWTOOLS".

More information about the folders inside as well as an auto method from Lenovo for driver installation can be found below:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht082396

For software installed after you got the system, it will be a pain. I would start with list of software already on the system. Tools like Belarc advisor can help with that. Note: The tool may give you software licenses of the programs installed but they may be wrong, so double check it.

Then look for better or more up to date versions of the programs. It can be easier than finding old installers/CD/downloads.

Thanks! Yeah I see there is a partition labelled Lenovo_Recovery on my laptop, if I double click on it it allows me to create a recovery disk, it says it will have all the factory software on it so I am assuming windows is included as well so I don't have to look for another copy of windows.

I just have to re-install all the other non-factory software that I have....shouldn't be too bad I suppose.

Thanks again!