Sign in to follow this  
eli matsunaga

Samsung 850 pro or Crucial Mx100?

Can't decide on Best upgrade for my laptop according to Performance for autocad, video editing, gaming and multiple page browsing.

1.) Samsung 850 pro 256gb or

2.) Crucial mx100 512gb or

3.) Crucial mx100 256gb and Crucial 8gb ddr3l ram (replace 4gb ram to max 16gb)

Please help me to choose an upgrade for my lenovo flex2 14 which is running at intel core i5 4210U, 12gb ddr3l ram (16gb MAX), 500gb HDD.

Well, you are looking at good choices. The 850 Pro is an excellent SSD and probably my go to recommendation for top SATA performance. The MX100 won't drop off much though and is much less expensive and adds in supercaps, which is unique in the client (consumer) SSD space. As to the RAM question, I don't know those app profiles enough to know how much impact upgrading would have. I'd assume it would help, kind of comes down to cost though. If you're on a hard drive today, I'd start with the SSD and see where that gets you.

I'd choose the MX100 due to the price advantage. The Samsung is a great drive, but you won't feel much of a difference. The MX100 also brings some limited Acronis license with it, which you can use to migrate your current installation (Samsung has this as well). If 256 GB is enough for you feel free to go with the smaller drive for now and pocket the difference. You can always buy something bigger much cheaper in a few years. And you can use your current HDD in an external enclosure for bulk storage.

Regarding the RAM: 12 GB is a lot and only you can tell if having more will help you. Also keep in mind that running out of RAM is not as bad with a SSD, as it doesn't cripple your system as it used to do with an HDD. So I agree: "start with the SSD and see where that gets you."

MrS