Sign in to follow this  
pokyfudywise

Changing SSD from Crucial MX100 to Samsung 850 PRO

I have Crucial MX100 256GB and I was considering changing it to Samsung 850 PRO 256GB. Would I feel any speed increase? Or is it completely pointless? Any other advantages besides this long warranty?

You can't have had the MX100 for long, why are you even considering it? As to feel, probably not as much as whatever you had to the MX100. I'd find it hard to go through the pain to move everything over just a little more performance.

What exactly do you do that makes you think you would benefit from a faster SSD? As Brian implies, 99.9% of normal users or even enthusiasts aren't going to see an appreciable difference-- the MX100 is already plenty fast enough.

In that case would you not be better off getting another MX100 and going RAID0? At least then you'd get performance gains that you'd notice.

Unless those are I/O bound on your current setup, you might not see much difference.

That said as Brian said, a RAID0 would probably be an even bigger bump (and a reliability hit).

That Raid0 could be sweet if you create a small Raid1 partition for the system and use the remaining space in Raid0. However, transitioning a system from non-Raid to Raid is not trivial. Especially if you'd reuse one of the disks.

If you're looking for a sigle-disk upgrade which could make a difference wait for M.2 SSDs with PCIe interface.

MrS

I would rather stick to just one drive.

Now I have MX100 256GB, and this capacity is ok for me.

However I am considering changing it to:

850 PRO 256GB or MX100 512GB - about the same price and larger version of crucial is much faster than 256GB MX100