TomMiken

Recommendation for budget SATA raid for home theater storage

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my current Intel chipset based raid (4 x 1.5TB in raid 5).

My current motherboard is limited to 2TB HDDs, so an inline upgrade is out of the question as I want to replace my current drives with 4TB ones.

A discrete raid controller card would enable me to move my storage from one computer to another when upgrading the host PC (which is a crucial, as this array is too large to be backed up to another medium).

Requirements for the controller:

• Support for 3TB+ drives (above 2TB)
  • PCI-E (2.0+)
  • Preferably 8 internal ports
  • SATA 6G
  • Budget
  • Reliable and good management

Thanks in advance!!!

Tom

LSI 9361-8i? Adaptec 8805? Areca ARC-1883i?

Or were you planning to use software RAID, so you just need a SATA controller, no RAID?

No, I'm aiming for HW RAID.

These cards retail at around $600. I'm sure that they are excellent controllers, but this is beyond my budget. Please take into account that for a single streaming HD movies I really don't need a lot of read performance. I don't need a lot of write performance either for the ocasional copy of a new movie to the storage. I'm using RAID mainly for having storage redundency and reliability. You can consider the required performance level to be that of a long term archiving/history storage.

I was considering the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL to be more of the price point I'm willing to spend, but I'm worried about its reliability. Maybe it's good (reliable) enough? Or maybe there are better cards at this price level?

Edited by TomMiken

I was in the same boat.

I went software raid (not the onboard garbage) with mdadm and Linux and $35 4port express controllers.

My biggest plex/samba/nfs/cache/xmbc/whatever has 16x3tb in raid6.

Only money I have into it is controllers and hdds. Everything else I found in a dumpster from college kids. Dual core amd64.

Mdadm is nice. Pull drives, stuff in another box, reassemble, presto.

Zfs if you want to go 64bit and try raidz3

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I was in the same boat.

I went software raid (not the onboard garbage) with mdadm and Linux and $35 4port express controllers.

My biggest plex/samba/nfs/cache/xmbc/whatever has 16x3tb in raid6.

Only money I have into it is controllers and hdds. Everything else I found in a dumpster from college kids. Dual core amd64.

Mdadm is nice. Pull drives, stuff in another box, reassemble, presto.

Zfs if you want to go 64bit and try raidz3

I prefer HW and discrete RAID.

I'm trying to find a reliable solution for around $200. I already have the computer, so only need a controller and drives.

Will budget permit replacing the $200 card later? What will you do in the meantime while waiting for the card?

Making a point that's not budget or flexibility in my book.

Good luck!

You should take a look at unRAID. You'll spend a lot less money in the long run w/ this setup if all you need is a NAS. http://lime-technology.com/

That's an interesting option.

What are the disadvantages of unRAID?

Can the configuration be saved and restored to a new server/unRAID installation?

unRAID is built in such a way that you don't need to do what you're talking about, but it is very possible. I'd spend a few minutes and look it up on youtube to get the feel for it, there are a ton of howto videos that summarize what's going on.