Jcarlberg

4TB vs 6TB - Does the cache increace benefit me?

No, spindle speed and other drive architecture elements benefit you more than on drive cache. They don't aggregate like an SSD cache in front of your HDD storage.

• Like 1

No, spindle speed and other drive architecture elements benefit you more than on drive cache. They don't aggregate like an SSD cache in front of your HDD storage.

Okok, good to know.

I am goign to by what Seems to be cheap anyway cause i am gonna use raid 5 ( wanna do raid6 But DAS seem mostly only do raid 5).

Between the same line of drives, cache makes roughly zero difference.

Drive firmware tuning makes far more of a difference than cache amount changes do-- the firmware must effectively use the additional cache.

And fortunately or unfortunately, harddisks are so slow anyway, the differences would be minimal at best.

Also as Brian said, cache built into individual drive for the drive's built-in controller use does not aggregrate like you're thinking.

There are more important differences between 4 and 6 TB drives to consider

- The 4 TB models should be cheaper to buy (less price per TB)

- The 4 TB models will use more electricity for the same capacity. It's not much, but it adds up, depending on your config and local electricity price.

- The 6 TB models will stay useful for longer. If you choose 4 TB now and quickly run out of space again (I don't know your storage needs), you may have to sell / repurpose the 4 TB models and upgrade. There's always some loss associated with selling used hardware. In such a case it might have been better to go for fewer larger disks now.

MrS

In addition to MrSpadge's remarks, a 6TB drive -- all else being equal -- will have higher areal density, which will improve performance. More data passes under the reading head per rotation, so the reading head will generally be able to read more and move less.

Whether you will notice is another matter.