Sign in to follow this  
Captain Teargas

New RAID controller

Hi all,

I am looking to expand my current storage capacity and get a new RAID controller. I currently am using a Highpoint RocketRAID 2640x4 with 4 1TB drives. I recently bought an Adaptec 6805 which I found to not be compatible with my motherboard. So here is where I some expertise and advice.

I am looking for a RAID controller with the following specs
Minimum 8 SATA III drives
On-board RAID processor
512MB RAM

The important thing is it must be compatible with an EVGA P67 FTW motherboard running Windows 8.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Might hop over to XtremeSystems.org forums and see if they have any better info on compatibility.

That said if a RR2604 works fine, I would imagine an Adaptec 6805 should've been fine too. Weird. Did you disable unused, unnecessary storage controllers in the UEFI to see if that helped the controller option ROM come up?

As far as modern controllers, the three main brands are pretty much Areca, Adaptec, and LSI. LSI's ROC ends up in Intel and Areca controllers, but with different firmware...

I'll have to take a look at XtremeSystems.

I didn't disable anything, all I tried was putting the card in different slots. I don't recall seeing a way to disable the onboard storage controllers, so I will have to look into that.

Since the 2604 works, would there be any reason to believe a RR 3620 wouldn't work? I looked at the compatibility lists for both and they listed a similar p67 motherboard made by Gigabyte.