_ddc

2 Raid Volume

Hi everyone,

Im planning to migrate our storage data on a new server with RAID-5 with 6 HDD's. Its all for storage nothing else just copying, viewing, transferring files, editing. My question is setting up the first 3 drives as my first volume raid 5 and the rest of the drives as another volume to backup the first RAID-5. Its like Mirror my VOLUME 1 to VOLUME 2. Is that possible? Im really uneasy about the lost of data. Please advice. Thank you everyone!

-dan

Backing up within the same system isn't a very good idea if you're worried about data loss. What are your other options? Can you back up to something else in your environment and make a copy offsite via cloud or something else?

Backing up within the same system isn't a very good idea if you're worried about data loss. What are your other options? Can you back up to something else in your environment and make a copy offsite via cloud or something else?

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the less info im trying to relay here. Im still new on the raid technology! Actually that is my only option. Like i said im new to raid.

Can you give me sir an idea if my top priority is the loss of data like backup, faulty drive on raid of course i want a good performance on HOT data's id rather go for the safety of the data.

What raid do i need to use? If the budget and equipment im still on a plan for approval depending the best possible i can get with raid. Its more like my system will be depending on what raid i will be using! Since my boss dont care about costly server as long as it serve the time and worth of the appliance.

Its more like redundancy over performance!

Hope you could give me the extra hand brian thanks.

Generally speaking for backup you want to transfer data to a secondary system. Depending on the capacity of the drives in question, RAID6 might be a smart alternative since you can suffer 2 drives failing and the array will still stay online. RAID5 you can only lose a single drive.

Do you have a budget for an external storage array (NAS)?

The problem with using mirroring for data backups is that when files are deleted or damaged in the first volume, then those changes are automatically replicated in the mirror. That's why RAID itself is such a bad choice for backup. It protects you against disk failures and little else.

Automatically mirroring to a different computer isn't much better, as it's subject to exactly the same issues. You need to backup to a separate system, and use real a backup strategy that keeps old copies, so you can recover from file corruption, deletions, user errors. If the data is irreplaceable, a second backup, preferably off-site is wise. Then you're also protected against things like theft, fire, flood.

3-2-1 policy ;)

That's what I was getting at with the first reply.

im really sorry. What is the 3-2-1 policy?

The problem with using mirroring for data backups is that when files are deleted or damaged in the first volume, then those changes are automatically replicated in the mirror. That's why RAID itself is such a bad choice for backup. It protects you against disk failures and little else.

Automatically mirroring to a different computer isn't much better, as it's subject to exactly the same issues. You need to backup to a separate system, and use real a backup strategy that keeps old copies, so you can recover from file corruption, deletions, user errors. If the data is irreplaceable, a second backup, preferably off-site is wise. Then you're also protected against things like theft, fire, flood.

wow this is handlfull as well! thank you guys! I think i made a good choice by buying a NAS for this same problem! you nailed it man! but im still waiting for brian's 3-2-1 policy i would love to get as much info as possible to study it and learn from you guys! im really thankful!

Generally speaking for backup you want to transfer data to a secondary system. Depending on the capacity of the drives in question, RAID6 might be a smart alternative since you can suffer 2 drives failing and the array will still stay online. RAID5 you can only lose a single drive.

Do you have a budget for an external storage array (NAS)?

i will take raid 6 into consideration.. I dont really mind performance just wanted to be sure to make restoration and backup going up to 90% - 100%. I already bough seagate NAS 4 bay! waiting for it to arrive!

Edited by _ddc