Brian

LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 Review Discussion

Thank you for the excellent review Brian. Much appreciated.

I have one question for you, if you don't mind ->

Which model was it that you tested? 10 TB ... 20 TB ... or 30 TB model?

When it comes to real-world vs. manufacturer posted speed expectations, I would like to know how your Blackmagic Disk Speed Test performance values match those that LaCie document in their specifications .... and they are different for each model of the 5big Thunderbolt 2 family.

I am planning to get (2) of the 10 TB models for my new iMac 27-inch with Retina 5K Display. The primary unit will be configured in RAID-0 for performance, and the second unit will be configured in RAID-5 as a backup unit for my data residing on the primary unit. I already have an offsite backup device I use ... which is pathetically slow ... but is never used for my day-to-day "work".

Thank you again,

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

Since it sounds like we are in a similar situation, can you talk more about your expected workflow between the RAID0 and RAID5? Will the other simply serve as a clone, and if so, will this be automated somehow? When you import media, will it initially be only on the RAID0 until it is synced with the other?

Thanks!

Patrick

We always post that info in our reviews, though in this case that task seems to have eluded us. I'm 90% sure it was 20TB but will see if I can find a way to confirm. We don't have the unit any longer.

Hi Benjamin,

Since it sounds like we are in a similar situation, can you talk more about your expected workflow between the RAID0 and RAID5? Will the other simply serve as a clone, and if so, will this be automated somehow? When you import media, will it initially be only on the RAID0 until it is synced with the other?

Thanks!

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

After being screwed over for years by applications that claim they can perform synchronization ... I prefer using ->

1. rsync (OS X, Linux, etc.: via s simple shell script)

2. robocopy.exe (Windows: via a simple script)

... to synchronize my primary data folders to their backup folders.

Likewise for my offsite backup.

I work mainly with large virtual machines, none of which are deemed 'production' class. These are more for my testing purposes. As such, the (RAID-0) unit does not need to be synchronized to the (RAID-5) unit constantly. Currently I only do it once per day ... started just before I go to bed ... as the process takes a few hours over USB 3.0 with stand-alone drives.

My onsite and offsite backup process is completely manual ... as I trust "me" ... and not automation :) <- 32 years of experience with computers has taught me this ...

Benjamin

Edited by MacMan69

We always post that info in our reviews, though in this case that task seems to have eluded us. I'm 90% sure it was 20TB but will see if I can find a way to confirm. We don't have the unit any longer.

Thanks Brian.

From your article -> "We recorded transfer speeds in various RAID configurations. Results showed 1,023.1MB/s read and 990.3MB/s write (RAID0); 880.4MB/s read and 939.9MB/s write (RAID5)"

... I would guess that it would probably have been the 30 TB model that was tested, as these performance values line up quite closely to LaCie's documented values for the 30 TB model ... but I just wanted to confirm to be sure ->

30TB RAID 0: 1,050MB/s (Read) , 900MB/s (Write)

30TB RAID 5: 840MB/s (Read) , 840MB/s (Write)

Almost all of the speed tests that I have seen for LaCie devices, in various configurations (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 2 .... RAID-0, RAID-5 ... HDD, SSD (SATA), SSD (PCIe)) have been very close to (or ever so slightly higher than) LaCie's documented numbers.

If it were not for my capacity needs ... I would opt for (2) of the LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2 (1 TB PCIe SSD) storage devices.

Thank you for the quick response,

Benjamin

Hello Patrick,

After being screwed over for years by applications that claim they can perform synchronization ... I prefer using ->

1. rsync (OS X, Linux, etc.: via s simple shell script)

2. robocopy.exe (Windows: via a simple script)

... to synchronize my primary data folders to their backup folders.

Likewise for my offsite backup.

I work mainly with large virtual machines, none of which are deemed 'production' class. These are more for my testing purposes. As such, the (RAID-0) unit does not need to be synchronized to the (RAID-5) unit constantly. Currently I only do it once per day ... started just before I go to bed ... as the process takes a few hours over USB 3.0 with stand-alone drives.

My onsite and offsite backup process is completely manual ... as I trust "me" ... and not automation :) <- 32 years of experience with computers has taught me this ...

Benjamin

Thanks Benjamin. I'm totally down with rsync having used it in the past, but now as a father of 4 trying to get a new business going, I might need something a bit simpler. What do you think of this to sync folders between a fast DAS like the LaCie and a shared folder somewhere on the network, guessing it's rsync behind the GUI: http://www.greenworldsoft.com/sync-folders-free-help.php

Cheers,

Patrick

Thanks Benjamin. I'm totally down with rsync having used it in the past, but now as a father of 4 trying to get a new business going, I might need something a bit simpler. What do you think of this to sync folders between a fast DAS like the LaCie and a shared folder somewhere on the network, guessing it's rsync behind the GUI: http://www.greenworldsoft.com/sync-folders-free-help.php

Cheers,

Patrick

I've gone the NAS route before. Personally, the (3) NAS appliances from LaCie that I tried ... ended up all being sent back for replacement. All (3) were dead on arrival. HDDs wouldn't spin up, NAS interface could not "see" the HDDs, network adapter was non-functional. Once they were replaced, I was never impressed with the performance they offered over a (1 Gbps) wired Ethernet connection. Functionally the synchronization worked, and was reliable (e.g. rsync, robocopy, etc.) ... but the speed was so slow.

A SAN solution is going to be the fastest .... but who really has the money to purchase such a solution for home personal use. I drool over our many SAN storage arrays, SAN fabric switches, bonded channels, etc. at work every time I visit my friend in the I.T. Department.

I've personally decided to stick with a DAS solution for my needs .... and to never go backwards to anything below (500 MB/s) .... not even for my offsite backup synchronizations. A (RAID-0) LaCie 5big (10 TB) for my primary storage. A (RAID-5) LaCie 5big (10 TB) for my onsite backup storage. And, a (RAID-1) LaCie Littlle Big Disk (1 TB, PCIe SSD) for my offsite backup (still to be purchased). All Thunderbolt 2. All with minimum transfer rates of (500 MB/s). I have zero need to backup my virtual machine disk images offsite. If I lose them due to fire, theft, etc. .... it takes no time to rebuild them from scratch. I only export and save the actual "data" within the virtual machines (e.g. custom -> Transact-SQL scripts, PL/SQL scripts, MS-SQL databases, Oracle databases, Windows PowerShell scripts, web applications, etc.). As such, my offsite storage capacity "needs" go well below the (512 GB) limit of a LaCie Littlle Big Disk (1 TB, PCIe SSD) configured for (RAID-1).

Benjamin

Hi,

I'm about to buy the LaCie 5big 20TB for use with an iMac as primary storage of data including photos using multiple volumes that will be individually backed up to single enclosure HDDs and offsite to NAS.

I've read great things about SoftRAID's software for managing a RAID5 array and am wondering if I should use the LaCie Hardware RAID or use the box in JBOD mode with the SoftRAID software.

I contacted SoftRAID and they claim lower resources, faster rebuild and better monitoring.

Appreciate your thoughts.

E

I don't know why you'd bother paying the premium for LaCie if you're not going to use its features. If you want to use SoftRAID then just buy a JOBD and save a few hundred dollars. I's prefer the hardware option but that's just me.

I don't know why you'd bother paying the premium for LaCie if you're not going to use its features. If you want to use SoftRAID then just buy a JOBD and save a few hundred dollars. I's prefer the hardware option but that's just me.

A friend who works for them can get me a too-good-to-pass-up deal :)