Sign in to follow this  
Xair

Help going from single HDD to 4 on RAID5

Hi, I recently bought an Alienware area51 desktop (or is it Aurora?) from the Dell outlet. It had all I wanted from it except it is lacking in the HDD department with a single Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM disk.

I figured it would be easy to upgrade to 4 3 TB Seagates which I also bought but haven't installed yet. I'm a bit short of time and would like to install them the fastest and easiest way possible. I tried putting in one of the 3 tb disks and changing in the bios boot screen the hard drive mode to rAID but the computer won't boot. My idea was mirroring that one and then removing the 1 tv and setting in another of the 3 gb drives to make the first 3 gb drive 3 gb again, and then finally the other two.

I just would really like to skip making a backup of the boot drive and just copying it over...

Any tips? Something I can download or buy (cheap) to do this?

Thanks,

Xair

What do you mean by won't boot? If the system is seeing the disks but the OS won't load, that's because you will need to install the RAID storage controller drivers in the OS before changing the SATA controller mode.

IIRC there's a few guides out to do that already written, unfortunately I don't remember any of them off the top of my head.