oweniverson

RAID (or other?) configs that allow adding drives later on.

If i wanted an array that i could simply add disks to later on, what would that configuration be? i'm used to RAID 5 at work, and we can add drives dynamically, but that might be a hardware thing that i don't know about. a buddy mentioned RAID 10 is the best, so i was thinking of checking that out. any thoughts?

It really depends on your needs. Most RAID setups allow for expansion, but it really depends on what environment it is. If its an LSI RAID card or a Synology NAS they are two different beasts. Same goes with picking the RAID for your storage... is your end goal performance or lots of capacity and durability?

mainly capacity. raw photo storage. I have an Intel controller with a RAID 5 on it now (the RT3WB080) but i can't seem to be able to add a drive to the existing array. a buddy just swung by and suggested i turn my new drive into a second virtual drive and THEN try the expand option on the original array. i had done both, but not one after the other. so that might be what i was missing.

worst case, i figure i'll just build a new RAID 10 and copy the data.

If your goal is capacity, RAID10 is not the way to go. Your forfeit half the storage capacity for it. RAID6 would be optimal for 4+ HDDs.

That card looks like a rebadged LSI adapter. From the description you said, the only way to expand the volume would be to have free drives. So if you make a new VD with the unused disk(s), nothing is free to modify your original volume with. The Intel interface might also not have an option to expand either.

Do you have any other storage you could offload your current contents to, then build your new RAID?

RAID 10 was suggested as "the best" for performance *and* redundancy. 6 seems fine, and honestly, my 5 is probably fine for my stuff anyway.

as for the free drives, what does "free" mean? it shows up as "unconfigured" and not a part of anything. in that state, i can't expand my existing array (though i do have the option to "expand").

i'll play with it some more tonight and post any new findings.

Software!

Mdadm on Linux or zfs with freebsd.

I added 5 more drives to my array and started a reshape earlier this week. Afterwards, a hour of resize2fs, and I'll be jumping from 18tb to low 30s.

I'm using onboard sata plus Pcie4x $30 4port cards.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro