Sign in to follow this  
shady28

Solid state disk drives

That's from a Quad-Xeon board from Supermicro (that's the memory card)...lol....but..still..20 GB RAMDISK....is that so much to ask for? I mean..that's all I really want.

I don't see why all this stuff has to be so absurdly expensive.

What I would like is a box with IDE or SCSI interface and some slots to put PC133 ECC SDRAM or some such in.

1.5GB would be enough for me.

All I want is something fast for my swapfile and photoshop temp files so I couldn't care less about losing data when I shut down my computer.

Why isn't something like this on the market already ? Bet it will be a hit.

What I would like is a box with IDE or SCSI interface and some slots to put PC133 ECC SDRAM or some such in. 

All I want is something fast for my swapfile and photoshop temp files so I couldn't care less about losing data when I shut down my computer.

Well..it's like any "new" technology. I remember the days when the CD burners (CD-R only!) were like....between $4000-8000 US. And single speed too. And that was probably like....7 or 8 years ago. Now a days, you can get a 40x CD-RW, for $68 US and 48x CD-RW for $91 US.

I think it's also a question of supply & demand..as with anything else that's price related. Apparently, they do have a type of RAM<-> IDE/SCSI interface already. And if you think about it this way too, you could probably have the have the DIMMS on an angle too, and it would probably fit in a normal 1" HDD enclosure.

Besides, even if they had the memory card that I posted (taken from another thread in the forum), and put that in an enclosure, and have the slot that it goes into like..on the side of the "drive enclosue"....and the circuitry for a SCSI interface....that's at LEAST a 32 GB SCSI RAMDISK.

Or like I said with my other idea.....two banks of memory. One's the actual REAL system RAM, and the other uses RAM DIMMS as well, but is used for a RAMDISK or SSD of some sort. And imagine if you can access the "RAMDISK" through BIOS. You'd be able to install your OS onto it...and it'd boot quite a bit faster.

Or as I've also suggested to a friend of mine...why not make your BIOS, your OS. i.e. totally different structure, compatible with Unix/Linux and Windows across the board. And you'd be able to overclock on the fly.

Basically.....by the time you POST....you'd be all set and ready to go do your thing.

its expensive because its a specialty item, and doesnt have the mass market behind it to make it less expensive... (cost per unit, on a run of 1000, is higher, than on a run a million or more)

Guest russofris
Or as I've also suggested to a friend of mine...why not make your BIOS, your OS. i.e. totally different structure, compatible with Unix/Linux and Windows across the board. And you'd be able to overclock on the fly.

Basically.....by the time you POST....you'd be all set and ready to go do your thing.

Tandy did this with their 1000's series. They had a little OS (It was called SystemPro or something, I forget) in ROM with a GUI and word processing package. I had a 1000RLX, and this made it impossible to get Minix running.

Having a Ramdisk option in the bios with INT13 extensions would be cool though.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

you can already dynamicly adjust the clock of a P4 or athlon system if you buy a gigabyte motherboard. ( www.gigabyte.com.tw ) gigabyte includes a little utility with the board to accomplish this.

you can already dynamicly adjust the clock of a P4 or athlon system if you buy a gigabyte motherboard. ( www.gigabyte.com.tw ) gigabyte includes a little utility with the board to accomplish this.