Sign in to follow this  
save86

New Defective? Samsung Spinpoint M8

Hi Guys,

First post here, and I"ll just get to the point.

Received my Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 5400Rpm today from Newegg. I am using this as a secondary data drive to compliment my primary drive, a Samsung Evo Pro 128.

I have an Asus G73 Gh-a1.

I installed the drive into the additional port and booted up. I went straight to disk management to partition and name the drive. After about 15 seconds the window was not responding.

I then did a force stop and went to restart the process, however the drive was not detected. Now, it is not detected in disk management or bios. I also tried using a Thermaltake USB hard drive dock that I have and it still doesn't detect. When I power on the dock with the drive plugged in it makes a strange repeating sound for about 4 seconds and then stops.

What happened? Haven't reset cmos or loaded optimal settings in bios. I've already initiated a RMA with Newegg, hoping I can find a solution here and cancel that.

Thank for the input in advance.

The strange repeating sound is not a good sign... mechanical drives and lack of proper packaging(assuming) can be an issue.

If you can get the drive seen by windows, check the smart data with hd tune.

If not, see if bootable tools such as Mhdd or Parted Magic can see the drive and run some scans. Make sure only the bad drive is connected in the primary bay if possible, then boot to the tools via a bootable CD or USB stick.

Mhdd can be accessed from UBCD - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Parted Magic can be bought or an older version be downloaded via this link - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

Sounds like it's dead. Which is unusual for the M8, it's been around a long time, and considered a solid, reliable drive. Sounds like a NewEgg warehouse minion mishandled it.