Brian

Seagate 8TB HDD Now Shipping Discussion

An educated guess however would suggest this could be the next iteration of Seagate's SMR technology on the 5K Terascale platform. As Seagate suggests the drive is meant for archiving, their SMR technology and low-power slow spindle speed makes sense.

Seagate 8TB HDD Now Shipping

A store link where it's on sale would be helpful. I know which store too - it's sold at the same place that stocks Toshiba's MG04 drives. Now if I can just remember where that is ...

Is anyone else getting tired of these soft launches?

To be fair they're not claiming this would ship in mass quantities to end user stores. I concur with Brian in that it's probably SMR and by "support for archive workloads" they actually mean "don't try to use this for anything else than archive workloads". By "consistent enterprise-class performance" they probably mean "it's always slow". If it was any better than this they surely would have said so.

That's not to say the drive wouldn't have its place.. but I think it may actually be good to limit their availability for now.

BTW: it's no excuse, but Seagate has been soft-launchnig drives for years. Sometime retail availability took a full year! I see no reason to get any more tired of this than in the past years.

MrS

• Like 1

Looks like a drive that would suit my needs fine. Even the slowest drive can serve my needs, which is usually a single movie at a time being streamed off my NAS. I think I'm probably in the same boat as most home users that have a NAS, it's pure bulk storage with minimal access.