Gigabyte

HDD for general use (3 or 4TB)

My Mac Pro's internal 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 seems like it may be failing soon (despite no SMART errors, but I've experienced first hand that SMART isn't always that smart and won't always tell you when a drive is failing). So I believe I need a replacement before I start losing data.

Since I use the computer everyday and like a quiet environment it should be relatively silent, but also perform well and be reliable/long lasting. Performance drives as far as I know make some additional noise and of course cost a lot more than "regular" drives, so I don't think I need that. I also have an SSD for the operating system/applications and another SSD for Photoshop/Lightroom caches etc. So the drive in question will basically just be used for storage, but then again I will probably start editing some home videos soon (not HD), so do I need to take that into account, or will just about any regular desktop drive these days be sufficient?

3TB is and has been more than enough for a long time, but if I start editing videos I might wish I had bought a 4TB. Suggestions?

In a previous thread I was suggested a Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 when I asked about buying backup drives. I've had good experiences with them and they seem to be faster than my Western Digital 2TB WD20EARS "green" drives. Besides being slow I'm tired of WD's silly "features" like automatic powering down after a few seconds of inactivity (likely a "power saving" feature, completely unnecessary IMHO and also something that provides more tear and wear), so I'm more or less ruling out WD. That leaves Seagate, Toshiba, Samsung, Seagate and Hitachi. Have I left anyone out?

So what do you suggest I replace the Seagate drive with (3 or 4TB)?

You could get one of the NAS drives, seems like a good fit depending on pricing compared to green-style drives. In a one-off it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what you get. It doesn't sound like it's worth paying up for a 7k drive in your scenario though.

Do NAS drives last longer than regular SATA desktop drives? I imagine they're built to spin all day like "enterprise" drives, which would be very nice and in addition have some firmware features which are useful for NAS setups but ignored for desktop use as far as I know.

Do you have any particular recommendations?

A 5900 RPM drive is out of the question as I've noticed how big a difference there is between my WD green drives and my Toshiba (2TB) DT01ACA200 and the (3TB) Seagate ST3000DM001. I see that Seagate is still sold, and I guess the 3TB Toshiba is similar to the above 2TB I already have. Are any of these brands/models better than the other?

Edited by Gigabyte

I don't know that we have longevity data yet on the NAS drives, they've only been in market a couple years. They're very similar to the Green drives, mostly just firmware differences. As to the 7K drives, I can't recommend Toshiba. If it were me I'd probably go HGST Deskstar, but we all have our favorites and again, in a single drive quantity, it's hard to say what will be best. You're really just hoping you're not in the minority of failures either way.

Actually I would recommend the 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 again. With 1 GB per platter at 7.2k rpm it's still a very strong performer in the world of desktop HDDs. From the benchmarks I see I would say its firmware is a bit more balanced all around compared to Toshiba and HGST. The WD Black and Blue also have very solid firmware, but the Black is ridiculously expensive (for my taste) and they pretty much quit the Blue line by stopping at 1 TB.

MrS

Hmm. October or November of 13. A bit after my bday.

Parity checks once a month, those take a week.

Nfs/samba/plex/owncloud/picture/mp3/flac/who knows what else.

Debian with mdadm. 2 fat raid6 arrays, a couple mirrors in there for important stuff.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Environment and packaging can play a big part in lifespan...The article mentions this a bit, such as vibrations with LP series failures which would be far less factor with using 1 drive. The article also mentions they are plenty happy with their Seagates. Their current favorite is the Seagate Desktop HDD.15 (ST4000DM000).

Realize that for every person that has a bad experience, there will be 10 that will have a positive experience. However, those ten people are not likely to post comments or do positive review...it is why looking a customer reviews on newegg etc can be misleading. Look for the types failures than the number of failures.

IMO, for general use, there really isn't a bad choice. Also, always keep your data back up(regardless of any drive you get).