Sign in to follow this  
Uluks

use Samsung Evo 840 as an external drive

Hello

Sorry if this question has been answered before. I tried to find an answer but unfortunately nothing I read helped me.

So, I bought a Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB internal SSD but I would like to use it as an external drive. Is this possible? I got a SATA to USB with the purchase for the migration which I tried to connect the SSD. That works fine, the driver was installed and I eject the drive. I also installed the Samsung Magician. Unfortunately, the SSD doesn't come up as a drive anywhere. Also in the Magician software finds the drive but I cannot select anything (e.g. firmware update etc.).

The only thing I can do with the SSD is migrating my data from my primary drive. Unfortunately, I don't want that for several reasons. I would just like to use the Samsung SSD as an external drive.

I have a HP Probook with Windows 7.

Please let me know if there's any way of using the internal drive as an external drive.

Thanks a lot!

Hmm, formatting. Should have thought about this. Anyway, thanks a lot! Appreciate the help. That solved the problem. Now in possession of a fast and neat external harddrive!

Thanks!!!!