Sign in to follow this  
Valleyforge

WD selling Blues as Blacks?

Hi just got a new WD Black this week. It's a 1TB WD1003FZEX, and I was surprised to find a very light single platter drive with the cheap Blue-style 'stamped tin' top cover, not the heavier 'stainless steel/black insert' cover as is usual on the Black. It's speed seemed very slow on my testing, though I'm not particularly worried as it was going in as a system drive in a NAS box. The 1TB Black looks physically identical to a 500GB Blue (WD5000AAKX) I have (OEM, came out of an Asus PC).

Seems some folks on various forums have deemed this particular model to be a Blue with a different label and an extra 3 yrs warranty.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/WD1003FZEX-CAVIAR-BLACK-poor-access-time-explained/td-p/658549

http://www.overclock.net/t/1446170/western-digital-1tb-wd1003fzex-poor-access-time

I'm wondering if the Storage Review folks have any thoughts, or even any examples of these drives they could test?

I'm also thinking I might just use the 500GB Blue, as it's a known quantity with flawless service for 6 months. I don't like paying £60 for an upgraded drive that's no faster than the original, and just uses more power for no gain.

I've had a chance to play with both my WD5000AAKX and the WD1003FZEX, and they not only benchmark very similarly, but they sound the same and they even vibrate the same.

I'm feeling a bit ripped off - I could have had a 1TB Blue with extended warranty for less than the 1TB 'Black'. Thankfully I purchased this drive through Amazon, so I might just return it.