Brian

Samsung SSD 845DC PRO Review Discussion

The Samsung 845DC PRO brings new NAND technology to the enterprise SSD space that is getting a little behind in terms of innovation. Samsung's new drive leverages the V-NAND and in-house controller and firmware to post excellent scores in all of our database tests in addition to impressive performance in the synthetics.

Samsung SSD 845DC PRO Review

Running the 840 Pro again with drive capacity reduced to 480GB (compare against other light enterprise SSDs). Should have that data gathered in the coming week.

Hi Brian- Any chance to see how a 512GB 850 PRO over-provisioned down to 400GB would compare to the 845DC Pro et al in some of these enterprise benches?

Is that something you're considering deploying at scale for enterprise or you're a power user that just wants to know? As more vendors like Samsung and Micron make duty-specific drives for the enterprise, it makes less and less sense to try to squish client drives into those use cases. We're certainly open to exploring more testing, but want to be sure we understand how the market wants to use the drives and why first.

Thanks for the quick response. I am your average small to mid-size biz owner / IT guy by day, storage enthusiast junkie by night (and day too I guess). I like researching the storage market, but presently looking for a one-off drive in the 400GB range for the local sql/web/file server on a prosumer budget. I don't need all the enterprise features that make the 845DC overkill and too expensive for my needs, but if I could hit similar performance numbers on an over provisioned prosumer drive, the enthusiast in me would be happy. I've been keeping an eye on the intel 3700 but haven't seen prices come down enough to pull the trigger, but it's close. If my budget did allow for the $2.5 / GB I would probably be looking at the Intel pcie options.

Do you think the 800GB version would perform any faster? I think that the 1tb version of the 850 Pro was more or less the same speed as the 512Gb version.

I'd assume that Samsung Rapid might help speed this up even more, but only if you have a UPS.

Thanks CrazyElf. I definitely utilize a UPS and perform daily backups but still not sure how well supported Rapid is in a server environment. If I were to go the prosumer route with the 850 PRo for example, I'd probably shy away from using any of the caching tech out there. The 800GB far exceeds my capacity needs...even 400GB is triple our current needs and unlike some businesses, our capacity needs grow very slowly and I would probably look to upgrade again when that time comes anyway 3-5 years down the road.