Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrazyElf

Samsung's SSD Global Summit 2014

6 posts in this topic

Hard to say, we don't go to that event and it's LOL to have it during a holiday week in the US, oh well, I guess others can cover it for us. Samsung didn't communicate at all about the event to those who didn't go.

I suppose it's their choice. Samsung's other divisions have set their own times for other products that they've made.

The only other interesting thing is apparently the 845DC Pro is going to be $1.50-$2.00/GB USD.

To be honest these days, I'm not sure what is different about enterprise SSDs. The MEX controller is identical at 400 MHz. NAND model is different (845DC Pro has K9PKGY8S7M-CCK0). But it seems like the massive price premium is for tantalum caps? Hmm ... perhaps I should not complain. High enterprise costs means that the R&D is paid by them and the end product is available to us ... at near variable costs. Only thing I would like to see is more power protection on consumer SSDs, a direction some manufacturers like Micron are moving to.

Edited by CrazyElf

I was surprised honestly to see that in the MX100, but now that it's there, I'd bet we'll see more caps in client drives.

I was surprised honestly to see that in the MX100, but now that it's there, I'd bet we'll see more caps in client drives.

In my opinion, it was simply inevitable.

The SSD is a market where competition has become intense, and as a result, margins have become quite thin. Anything that you can do, even temporary, to get an advantage, is a good thing going for you.

For that reason, integrating power loss protection into a consumer SSD was inevitable. The others will have to copy. I wonder if they will start putting high end capacitors into consumer SSDs at some point.

Adding caps to a SSD is probably adding less than 50cents to the build costs, SMD caps are cheap. I don't know why they haven't been standard since SSDs came out.