Sign in to follow this  
ComputerGiant

Two LSI 9361-8i cards into an HP Z820 giving issues

Just an FYI. I tried putting two 9361-8i cards into an HP Z820 and could not get it to boot past the MegaRAID configuration. The drives for the first card come up but when it gets to the second card I get an error:

Host Adapter - Bus 8 Dev 0:

F/W is in Fault State - MFI Register State 0xFFFFFFFF

F/W has indicated system reset is required. System will reboot now.

Above it is the drive virtual drive list, the actual hard drive list and the Bus 7 Dev 0 info for the first LSI MegaRAID 9361-8i. If I remove the second card then I boot up just fine. Tried all the ports for the card that I could and even disabled the onboard LSI-2308 to no avail. I imagine it is an IRQ error but I don't know how to switch the IRQ in the BIOS (legacy).

So it looks like you can only have one 9361-8i card per box. Interestingly enough I had a 9270-8i and threw that sucker in the box and it does boot successfully (after three restarts to let the box configure itself). So you can have a 9270-8i and a 9361-8i living together, just not two 9361-8i's in this instance.

I looked into the compatibility doc for the 9361-8i for an expander/backplane http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID%20Controllers/RAID%20Controllers%20Common%20Files/MegaRAID_SAS3_936x-938x_Compatibility_List.pdf

It lists one 12Gb/s backplane: Supermicro BPN-SAS3-216EL2 which came in around $1k http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-BPN-SAS3-216EL2-SAS3-12Gb-s-dual-expander-backplane~10023383~0.htm

Kind've steep.

Anyway I have 4x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a RAID10 for boot drives, and 4x 1TB EVO in RAID 10 for data attached to the 9361-8i. Waiting for 12Gb/s drives to drop in price.

FOR SALE: one 9270-8i w/BBU and mounting card, one 9361-8i w/CacheVault BBU. Make me an offer on your preferred card if interested as I have no need for them now. Both are brand new with less than 20 minutes runtime on the 9270-8i and two weeks of runtime on the 9361-8i (wouldn't operate reliabily in a Dell T620 purchased in December 2013).

Edited by ComputerGiant

Hey computer giant 

are u still around I need some advice on this subject. I too have a z820 .

i brought a 9361-8i 2gb and plan on buying 4 x 12Gb/s dual port sas drives . I want to then connect them with a dual port cable :

https://www.cs-electronics.com/product/12g-hd-internal-mini-sas-sff-8643-4-sff-8680/

Then I want to do exactly the same add another 9361-8i with 4 x 12Gb/s dual port hard drives but I am worried about your post on dual 9361 in the z820 and I was reading somewhere else that it will work so long as you use sas not sata. Can u confirm u were using sata hdd s with your test ?

I can't help you guys, just to say - two 9361 (bbu, cachecade, etc) are working fine, I tried DELL and IBM ones, mixed or both DELL, no problems at all.

The only change from default settings is that I have disabled BIOS on the cards because I don't need to boot from RAID and it's bit faster. Also, they can be configured thru UEFI bios (bottom of advanced page). If more than one 3961 is installed, UEFI bios nicely lists all of them in advanced page and I can select which one to configure IBM 5210 or DELLs 9361. 

If it matters my mobo is ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS (dual socket). So problem looks more like mobo configuration than controller issue. Silly to mention but any OEM card can be flashed with firmware from broadcom, maybe they fixed issue by the time? Have you tried ? I flashed IBM and DELL cards with one from broadcom, they work well.

Edited by minimini537