CrazyElf

Corsair Neutron GTX vs Seagate 600

What is the difference between these 2 drives?

- Same LAMD controller

- I think they both use 19nm Toshiba Toggle NAND

- Is only the firmware different?

I'm interested in buying one of these in the 480 GB version. The Seagate 600 for the 480 GB version is somewhat cheaper by about ~$40 CAD, although the warranty is 2 years shorter. Is it worth getting the Neutron GTX or should I go with the Seagate?

Edited by CrazyElf

At this point I'd suggest neither. The Crucial MX100 and EVO are both less expensive in the US and better solutions. What's the pricing like there and/or is there a reason you don't like those suggested?

At this point I'd suggest neither. The Crucial MX100 and EVO are both less expensive in the US and better solutions. What's the pricing like there and/or is there a reason you don't like those suggested?

At the moment, there's a deal so I can get either for not much.

Prices in Canada (using an online price comparison tool; weak exchange rate right now so we get screwed when it comes to electronics with USD)

- $240 CAD for the 480 GB Seagate 600 ($8 shipping)

- $225 CAD for the 512 GB Crucial MX100 ($10 shipping)

- $284 CAD for the 500 GB Samsung 840 Evo (free shipping)

Alternatively

- $290 CAD for the 480 GB Corsair Neutron GTX (free shipping); probably not a competitive deal

Some thoughts:

- The reason why I want to get the 1st one is because the have something else I want to buy (fan adapters) and with the 2nd offer (the MX100), I'd have to buy the adapters separately and pay more for shipping. With the Seagate 600, I'd buy the 2 adapters at $5 each and they'd be included in the shipping. With the 2nd one, I'd have to pay $12 each for 2 adapters, plus I think more for shipping on top of the $10.

- I've never been comfortable with the idea of buying TLC SSDs, although I hear the 840 Evo is more reliable.

- Another reason is that the Neutron GTX appears to be the most reliable of the bunch for long term relaibility - see here:

http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb

That said, then newer MX100 from Crucial has not been included in that review as it was not released at the time, although the M4 has historically been a reliable SSD (I'm using an SSD with the same Marvell controller).

Hmm, so I guess it's really between the MX100 and the Seagate 600.

Edit:

So I guess

Crucial

+ Somewhat better price per gig (about 10%)

+ Power loss protection

- Somewhat weaker sustained performance

Seagate

+ Sustained performance is better

- No power loss protection?

Edit 2:

I tried putting them both in my cart:

$298.13 for the MX100 + 2 adapters

versus

$283.49 for the Seagate 600 + 2 adapters

Also tried buying MX100 + cheaper adapters at site 2 and it came about to about ~$293, because I had to pay for shipping at both sites.

Edited by CrazyElf

MX100 is your answer. Better firmware updates long term, Seagate will not likely release another LAMD SSD. How much will they invest in support for what was ultimately a experiment? Probably not much.

Yeah I think so too. Micron will probably update the MX100 for the future. That and I like the fact that it has power loss protection.

Thanks for the help.

You'd probably never notice or need the capacitors, but they're there, which is nice for peace of mind. I think that's your best decision really.