Sign in to follow this  
Ricky_005

Storage config for workstation

Is this still one of the best options for a workstation? For example I do a lot of web development and need a very stable reliable storage system. My OCZ Synapse 32GB drive performed quite well for 2 ½ years and has finely crapped out on me. I want to stay with a cache system as it performed quite well for me.

My current system is an HP Z800 …. A rather old computer but still performs nicely.

• Xeon X5570 @2.93GHz
  • 12GB of ram

My thoughts of a configuration is as follows:

• MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i w/ BBU
  • MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 software & Key
  • (2) WD BLACK SERIES 2TB drives in a Raid 1 configuration
  • Short stroking the drives down to around 600GB
  • Samsung or Intel 128GB or a 256GB SSD provisioned down 50%

What do you think, a reliable storage system?

One more thing, Their is no Trim on the MegaRAID cards only Garbage Collection. Is this anything to be concerned with sense I am provisioning down 50%?

Or .....do I just buy a Samsung 500GB SSD drive for $270 and perform daily backups to a spinner?

Edited by Ricky_005

Split this out into it's own thread.

Can you tell us more about your workload and how you use the desktop? Any budget guidance would be good too. I think based on what you said already the RAID card is overkill and more complex than you need.

For the workload involved should not be too much of a concern …. I’m just running XAMPP Server …. Various code editors and graphic editing programs etc. As I said the OCZ Synapse 32GB drive performed quite well for me. The problem is, they are no longer available as Samsung bought out Nvelo which created Dataplex. It worked so well they wanted it off the market.

My reason behind using a cache system is that when the SSD fails I have two spinners in raid level 1 still operating.

I can buy a used MegaRAID controller, CacheCade Pro 2.0 setup off ebay for about $400 bucks.

My main concern I guess is the controller being able to maintain the health of the raid 1 setup without becoming corrupt.

I'm not sure it worked so well, but I know why Samsung wanted to bring more software internal.

Since your last rig, SSDs have become much cheaper. For the $400 budget you can get a TB SSD and just back up to the HDDs.

Running on my HP Z800 the OCZ Synapse for 2 1/2 years gave me no problems at all. I used my system 8 to 10 hours a day. As for Nvelo which created Dataplex it was rather obvious they would have eventually create serious problems for the SSD drive manufactures.

Edited by Ricky_005

If you only need 600GB of storage, just go all SSD... doing daily backups from SSD to a second SSD will get you a lot more IOPS than any mechanical disk. If you need a second backup then sure, buy a mechanical harddisk...