Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesBradley

Which to choose, advice needed please!

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I plan to buy a 2TB external hard drive and need some advice on which to choose. I found some for around £50-70 which were Western Digital, Toshiba, Samsung, Seagate

I have done some research and read bad things about Seagate mostly, but I couldn't find which one was the best to go for, everything just seems to be talking about not going for Seagate..
so I though I should ask the experts.. what I really need to know is which brand is most reliable and the best choice really and any other advice I would really appreciate,

Thank you

They're all commodity products at this point, buy whatever's cheapest or happens to strike your fancy.

I've had much better luck with Seagate externals than with WD. I routinely buy Seagate externals just to harvest the mechanisms. So there's a pro-Seagate anecdote for you.

i had a WD Passport essentials which crashed in less than a year.. the body of that HDD was kinda fragile and prone to scratches and shocks... better than that is a seagate HDD which has rugged feel to it... it also has an adapter that can be connected o the sata port of desktop motherboards... so u get a hard drive than can be used with ur dektop and laptop...

hope this helps!!!

longest warranty.

go for one with a 5 year warranty,

keep a back up your data and check the discs every month or so for errors with the official software ie datalifeguard WD.

longest warranty.

go for one with a 5 year warranty,

keep a back up your data and check the discs every month or so for errors with the official software ie datalifeguard WD.

Most I found was 3 years on the samsung one, but apparently samsung are now owned by seagate so I should avoid the samsung?

I cannot find one with a 5 year warranty, is there such a hard drive?

Probably not in this class...and there's no reason to avoid the Seagate. You'll either have a problem or you won't, doesn't matter which brand you go with.