Brian

Seagate Enterprise Capacity 6TB 3.5 SAS HDD Review Discussion

"with a design the industry is comfortable with"

How did you come to that conclusion? Or are you just talking about the re-arrangement of mounting holes?

The idea of a six platter drive doesn't make me feel particularly comfortable. Wouldn't we all expect that fewer platters means greater reliability?

Compared to helium, that's the reference. Many in the enterprise are not comfortable with new technology. An extra platter or more dense platters isn't entirely new in the way helium is.

The "Comparables" links nearly all link to the He6.

I wonder how many Synology users are happy with the missing middle hole, because I'm not? I can't mount these two-hole drives in my Synology DS213j (and this'll apply to the 214Se, and probably the rest of the lower-end 1&2 drive machines, so I'm stuck with 4TB drives until the manufacturers go down to 5 platter and restore the middle hole.

It's frustrating and they know about it, but we don't have any plan of action yet, sorry.

It's frustrating and they know about it, but we don't have any plan of action yet, sorry.

It's an easy fix, Synology just need to supply a longer bracket. The existing bracket is just screwed on to the "chassis", all they need is one with an extended ear to pick up the second screw. There's plenty of room there - heck using the existing screw holes and a stickky pad on an angle bracket, job jobbed.