Sign in to follow this  
zplazm

Please inform me of PCB swap compatibility for seagate barracuda

Hi everyone! I am a long time reader of the forum, this is the first time i have really needed to post here. I touched a molex pin plugged backwards on my Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003.

I have found a replacement PCB of the same serial number, my disk is , PCB no. 100687658 REV C, i have found the same number REV B.

Is it possible to change the new REV B circuit board to fit my hdd? I'd have to change the hdd bios around, what other steps are necessary, i.e. how do i update firmware?

Edited by zplazm

It's not that easy...you almost always need an exact 1 to 1 match and you can't go moving around firmwares and such, the HDD guys don't really enable such things. I assume since you're asking about extreme measures you have no backup of the data. Hopefully that's not the case, it will be easier to just get a new drive than mess with the high hopes and low likelihood of success of the PCB swap.

Thanks Brian. I found a precise 1 to 1 match for the PCB, from hdd-parts.com.

The pc is some kind of crazy confabulation, It's a workstation and all the usb and monitor cables go through a hole in wall to the table next door, so to check HDD's i have to walk into other room and crouch next to wall...it was early in morning and 2 HDD's were missing upon reboot, i think a flash drive on usb was blocking them from BIOS, i missed it. both disks are on same power cable so i checked the molexes and SATA cables 5-7 times, crouching and walking back to fiddle with BIOS settings and being dizzy and frustrated at 7.30 AM.

I plugged in the molex that i had disconnected, and the PC was on, except it's become low noise lately! DAM.... the molex Y connector has no protection from touching pins if you try to plug molex backwards, so i figure i touched 12v to 5v pin and ground to ground for a millisecond, the pc switched off, drives are silent. backup and main drive.

I will check the TVS diodes on the drive for over voltage with a multimeter.

I have 40 days since last backup of my flying game with finely tuned physics programming and 40 3d geodes and crystals 3d files for making procedural things with. my game lol

Edited by zplazm

Best of luck. Your original post had a different rev. That may be an issue if you haven't found an exact match.