Sign in to follow this  
BOE

Any word on a new 16i or 24i LSI controller

Hello,

I was looking at the 9361 and noticed it doesn't come in a 16i or 24i version. They haven't released a new 16i card in ages. The old 16i cards have PCIe 2.0 connections, have only 512MB of cache and old processors on them. I'm considering the adaptec but would prefer a new LSI.

I tried getting in touch with LSI. They would neither confirm nor deny their was a 16i coming out in the future (thanks :( ) I asked them about expander cards. They said they don't make them so they couldn't confirm the capabilities of using 2 ports out on an 8i and then setting up a large RAID 50 with an intel expander card (thanks :( ) I suggested perhaps they could get 8 port fanout cables to work with the low count cards they currently make. They said they don't make cables so they couldn't comment (thanks :( )

While I like LSI cards I'm really starting to hate the people that work there!

Edited by BOE

You are disappointed they couldn't give you a substantitive answer on unnannounced products, untested and consequently unsupported configurations, or products they don't make at all?

I hate to say it but I believe the answers they gave you were as realisitc as possible on LSI's end.

I'm disappointed they couldn't say we have no plans to make one in the near future (if they don't have those plans).

I'm disappointed their solution was to use an intel card but couldn't say if it could do anything I want when surely they've used the board if they recommended it.

Thanks - I'm looking into the Areca 1883ix. The 8 port model seems to hit some performance ceiling - we'll see if the x model has that issue.

Thanks - I agree. However LSI seemed to be all in on the high end stuff - now they seem to be going into a very specific portion of the high end niche.