Brian

Seagate Backup Plus 5TB External Hard Drive Discussion

It definitely feels like an SMR drive, but we don't know for certain. Given what we've seen from Seagate's other SMR drives, the performance looks right.

FWIW, picked up a Seagate Backup Plus 5TB external a week or two ago.

Real-world performance: filled it from 0% to about 85% full, took just under 9.5 hours, transfers started at 230MB/sec, dropped to 159MB/sec in about a minute (and over the next 30 minutes, down to 153MB/sec and degraded gracefully), were at 130MB/sec about 6.75 hours in, ended at 119MB/sec when finished.

Mostly large files, attached to Intel USB 3.0 controller on a Z87 motherboard running Windows 7 x64 w/SP1.

If an SMR drive still does over 100MB/sec writes I'd have to say that is much faster than I expected, but then I have limited experience with benchmarking SMR drives.

i have got bad experience with seagate external where i heard its all refurbished drives in them. end up getting two anyway cause price was good little did i know both performed at different speed. took them out of enclosure, one did at 140MB/s then drop to 20MB/s after 10 minutes where as the other one is half decent drop to 90MB/s.

never again, buying these external HDD where they use a crappy USB 3 controller to hide real performance of their device.

i have got bad experience with seagate external where i heard its all refurbished drives in them. end up getting two anyway cause price was good little did i know both performed at different speed. took them out of enclosure, one did at 140MB/s then drop to 20MB/s after 10 minutes where as the other one is half decent drop to 90MB/s.

never again, buying these external HDD where they use a crappy USB 3 controller to hide real performance of their device.

I don't know what your deal is, but they do not, and never have sold refurbished drives in external drives. Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

I've been buying Seagate externals and shucking them for years, and I've never once got a refurb inside. They've got normal drives in them, sometimes with slightly different firmware, but otherwise normal drives. I'm currently using 4 Seagate drives I pulled out of external boxes, an old 2TB Barracuda LP (nearly 4 years on that drive), a 3TB Barracuda XT, and two 4TB Desktop.15 drives. All are in a NAS box, and all have run perfectly.

Buying externals sometimes means you lose warranty (sometimes the bare drive will have warranty, sometime it'll be an OEM drive with no warranty), but it's a cheap way of getting the newest drives, and I personally prefer buying externals and shucking them than risk buying a bare drive that may have been mishandled somewhere along the supply chain.

Only drive I've had that's failed recently was a 1TB WD Green shucked from a Toshiba external drive years ago, but it had a hard life in it's external box before I ripped it out and used it 24/7 for a year at which point it died.

• Like 1

I don't know what your deal is, but they do not, and never have sold refurbished drives in external drives. Total nonsense. :rolleyes:

I've been buying Seagate externals and shucking them for years, and I've never once got a refurb inside. They've got normal drives in them, sometimes with slightly different firmware, but otherwise normal drives. I'm currently using 4 Seagate drives I pulled out of external boxes, an old 2TB Barracuda LP (nearly 4 years on that drive), a 3TB Barracuda XT, and two 4TB Desktop.15 drives. All are in a NAS box, and all have run perfectly.

Buying externals sometimes means you lose warranty (sometimes the bare drive will have warranty, sometime it'll be an OEM drive with no warranty), but it's a cheap way of getting the newest drives, and I personally prefer buying externals and shucking them than risk buying a bare drive that may have been mishandled somewhere along the supply chain.

Only drive I've had that's failed recently was a 1TB WD Green shucked from a Toshiba external drive years ago, but it had a hard life in it's external box before I ripped it out and used it 24/7 for a year at which point it died.

well if you think its non senese then I think you are just too green and haven't experience this, well hopefully you'll get the externals and get burned one day lol.

well if you think its non senese then I think you are just too green and haven't experience this, well hopefully you'll get the externals and get burned one day lol.

Whatever you think, brainiac. Your opinion is your opinion. My opinion is fact.

• Like 1

Never seen anything but a fresh drive inside branded products. I think putting refurbs in would be beyond shady. Let us know if you see it again...

Whatever you think, brainiac. Your opinion is your opinion. My opinion is fact.

i think u r just jealous though, oh well, the kid can take the win =)