Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martin_hindsight

The future of data storage.

8 posts in this topic

Recently I had to buy a new hard-drive because my 2tb WD was starting to fail after 3,5 years of service.
Since I wanted the most available storage, right now, I went for the WD 4TB Green reasonably priced at 165$.
After that I discovered, there is a Seagate 6TB HDD Out. But from what I have read, That is pretty much as far as traditional hard-disk technology is ever going to get. Maybe up to 10TB with Helium intead of air inside the enclosure but that is pretty much it. And SSDs are still far away from being a solution for massive storage, if they are ever going to get there.
So my question is: what other technologies are being developed and/or discussed or theorized out there that would eventually lead to storage space like 20, 40, 100, 200 . . . TB. From what I understand, it has to be a completely new technology not even remotely similar to what we have today. Because right now we seem to be pretty close to the end of the rope with our rotating platters and severely overpriced SSDs (3.2TB at 18000$)
And what do you think the capacity limits of SSDs are? We could of course stack more and more memory chips and platters onto each other but that would get ridiculous at some point like todays Video cards getting longer and thicker and hotter with every new gpu released.

There's one more platter density turn at least before hard drive guys have to turn to HAMR for greater density. On the SSD side, we may see 3D NAND by the end of the year and definitely product shipping with it in 2015. I've seen road maps with 16TB SSD in 2016.

Or 4K will proliferate and require several times as much hard drive space per film. Heck, by 2020, 8k may very well be on the horizon.

After that I discovered, there is a Seagate 6TB HDD Out. But from what I have read, That is pretty much as far as traditional hard-disk technology is ever going to get.

I remember reading the same about 75GB drives - the 5-platter IBM 75GXP in particular. That was just over 14 years ago.