Sign in to follow this  
cswinton

Synology DS414 vs DS414j

I've been considering the Synology DS414 for a home NAS - mainly used to store photos (3-4TB), serve as audio server for my Sonos system, occasional video streaming, and serve as on-site backup (also have off-site backup already covered).

From what I can gather, the main difference between the DS414 and the new "j" variety is that the new DS414j has a slower processor and overall slower performance. It is, of course, about $100 cheaper. I also noted that the DS414j doesn't allow hot-swapping which would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Are there other major differences I should be aware of or consider? Will the performance differences be noticeable?

Since this will be my first NAS, I don't have a baseline to compare with. Here's a spec comparison from Synology's website:

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare_products/DS414j/DS414

The issue is probably more about simultaneous users than anything else...that's really where the extra power can come into play. What's the usage model look like?

As far as the usage model, it's likely there will be times when backups / file access would be used simultaneously with audio streaming via Sonos or perhaps file access & video streaming but I doubt there would be more than 2 or 3 simultaneous applications (?users) accessing the storage simultaneously and, frankly, MOST of the time it would be single user usage.

Will the transfer speed differences be significant over a gigabit network?

For the video are you doing any transcoding? If so, the DS214play starts to make sense. Only 2 bays but you can expand it.

For the units you're looking at the two main differentiators that may end up making the most difference are: the RAM 1GB vs 512MB, and the addition of two USB 3.0 ports and a USB 2.0 port vs one USB 3.0 port, and one USB 2.0 port. I'd lean toward more RAM if you see scaling up your usage but if you're not transcoding, then either CPU should be good enough to get the job done.

Just go with the 414j - it's a perfectly fine machine. I have a 411Slim and a 213j, they're both lower spec than the 414j, and they do everything you're expecting, cswinton.

I use mine for DNLA/uPNP audio streaming, storing 1080p video rips (played via XBMC straight from the NAS shares), and also runs Transmission and nzbdrone for automatically downloading TV shows, MySQL, etc.

The 414j is quieter and uses less power, too, which is a bonus.

Edited by Valleyforge

@Valleyforge, that's really helpful! I'm in a similar situation to you... want to store data, photos, music & video rips, stream audio to Sonos and play 1080p videos via XBMC. I like the idea of auto downloads as well, but have nfi how to. Will figure it out I guess!

I'm looking at several models and my thoughts are below:

* DS414j (£267) - 500mb RAM, slowest but quietest, no transcoding

* DS414 (£365) - 1gb RAM, faster than 415 but no transcoding

* DS415 (£393) - 1gb RAM, no HDMI out, has transcoding. RAM could struggle with 1080p transcoding?

* QNAP TS451 (£399) - 1gb RAM, double the speed of the 415play. Software doesn't seem as good? Has transcoding and HDMI out

* QNAP TS451 (£464) - 4fb RAM so will never have RAM issues...

As I have an old box running XBMC, I don't think I even need transcoding... although it would be nice to get rid of it! Thus was thinking either the DS414j or the QNAP... provided the software solutions are okay compared to Synology?

Any thoughts for a 'noob'?

Thanks!

Warren

FYI, prices are from amazon.co.uk. A great reference site I've found is http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/32517-deciding-between-synology-a-qnap-take-2

Just go with the 414j - it's a perfectly fine machine. I have a 411Slim and a 213j, they're both lower spec than the 414j, and they do everything you're expecting, cswinton.

I use mine for DNLA/uPNP audio streaming, storing 1080p video rips (played via XBMC straight from the NAS shares), and also runs Transmission and nzbdrone for automatically downloading TV shows, MySQL, etc.

The 414j is quieter and uses less power, too, which is a bonus.

Edited by wazzzzzzzz

FWIW we just got the Synology DS415+ in for review.

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds415_released

Pretty optimistic considering as you say, QNAP has surpassed Synology in raw power in most categories. The app support is better on Synology though but that may or may not matter depending on what you need. Should have the data next week.