Sign in to follow this  
SYSTEM_USER

EMC VNX upgrade options

Hi,

A friend has asked for some informal advice about upgrading a data archive system based around an EMC VNX 5100. It is configured with an external drive enclosure filled with 3 TB SATA drives, so it's not a performance oriented system - more bulk entry-level online storage.

What are the upgrade options?

My understanding is that I can just add another DAE configured with drives. Another shelf of 3 TB drives would be OK, but given data growth expectations, I was wondering whether 4 TB drives are available or suitable. The plan would be to add 8 drives (in RAID6 + spare) initially, and then as demands increase fill the shelf with another 7 drives in RAID6.

In the more distant future, it is possible that the 5100 might need upgrading, are the V3 DAEs/drives compatible with the 5200 series?

Thanks for the post. I've reached out to an EMC contact to make sure you get a complete, and more importably, correct answer.

Hi,

A friend has asked for some informal advice about upgrading a data archive system based around an EMC VNX 5100. It is configured with an external drive enclosure filled with 3 TB SATA drives, so it's not a performance oriented system - more bulk entry-level online storage.

What are the upgrade options?

My understanding is that I can just add another DAE configured with drives. Another shelf of 3 TB drives would be OK, but given data growth expectations, I was wondering whether 4 TB drives are available or suitable. The plan would be to add 8 drives (in RAID6 + spare) initially, and then as demands increase fill the shelf with another 7 drives in RAID6.

In the more distant future, it is possible that the 5100 might need upgrading, are the V3 DAEs/drives compatible with the 5200 series?

On a VNX5100 4tb disks are available. You can add 8 disks, (Raid 6, 6+2). This gives you 21.5 TB of usable capacity.

You can't add 7 additional drives to that. You could add 6, or 8. If you have an existing 3.5 inch slot available in another DAE you could use that, or go with 6.

To go a little off topic; you might be better off considering a Data Domain if this is truly a system for storing backups. It's probably EOL. EMC can get very "creative" if you want to get old stuff off the floor and adopt something new... A small DD could be cheaper and give you better results. Just a thought.

Let me know if you have another other questions.