BOE

Adaptec 81605ZQ vs LSI 9260

Has anyone found any benchmarks comparing the two controllers? I realize the Adaptec has some newer tech but that won't necessarily make it faster. I'm looking for any good comparisons but can't find any. I also can't find any info on LSI releasing a newer version of the pretty old 9260.

Looks like the LSI controller is the safe bet. I'll have to wait for a 9361-16i - google tweaktown LSI Megaraid SAS3 9361-8i

• Like 1

Looks like the LSI controller is the safe bet. I'll have to wait for a 9361-16i - google tweaktown LSI Megaraid SAS3 9361-8i

Interesting, I did not find this one yet!

Indeed, the LSI seems faster but I am worried about this one > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118236

Though, it might be amateur reviews, and desktop grade hardware. Still makes me worried.

It does indeed seem the perfect choice, but the downside is pretty expensive since you have 81605zq for the same price(when using cachevault & cachecade), and I doubt that the 16i / 12i will be in the same price-range, but above all I'm worried how long it will take before they'll start to test it.

Durability might be a issue too, since young products tend to have problems :(

The heat issue is the only one that concerns me as the other issues are pretty well established. I use Windows - so not really a concern about the Linux junk. I know my 9271 runs very hot. I'm not sure why LSI doesn't just put in a double sided heat sync (both sides of card).

Probably because a heatsink large enough to matter would be a violation of the PCI-e spec. :P

Not as big a deal in consumer space (hence why we see video cards with monster heatsinks), but in enterprise space where every slot in a system may be occupied, sticking to the spec is a bit more important.

I'm wondering which goes through post faster. LSI said they didn't want to make the initialization time variable because they were worried that the spin up time wouldn't be sufficient for some spindle drives. Anyone whose ever waited for an lsi/perc controller to complete the post process during bootup knows how brutal it can seem to wait for it. With more SSDs on the market, there is no need for spin up wait for some users and that painfully long press for cli thing.

I keep waffling about but I'm thinking of going with the Adaptec after all as I don't want to use an expansion card and the Adaptec 81605zq has all the ports I need. Curse you LSI :) I wanted to stick with LSI but the Adaptec serves my purpose since there is no LSI 9361-16i

The Adaptec 8-series cards are really nice, I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Maybe now that the LSI acquisition is completed they'll get back to engineering new cool stuff.

I hope you are right. I probably have until August before I have to build the new system. I'm waiting for the 6TB consumer class models to become more readily available and to see what happens with the controller. The Seagate 5900 RPMs are available, but only the enterprise 7200RPMs are available from them currently and I can't justify double the cost when I need about 28 drives total.

I contacted LSI about needing more drives than 8 in my raid. They suggested I get a 3rd party expander like the intel resv240. I asked if I could connect 2 cables to a 9261-8i to the RESV240 so I could keep up some throughput and LSI said they won't support 3rd party cards. Kind of a catch 22. So I contacted Intel about this solution and Intel said they don't support LSI cards, I'd have to contact them. LSI could make my life a whole lot easier if they just updated the ancient 512mb 9260 to a current PCIe, current 1 or 2GB cache level, sata 12G device like the 9361 but with 16 or 24i versions.

Time flies. I replaced my drives with 6TB drives and have 27TB of disk space. Unfortunately I'm down to 4TB free and that will pretty much be gone by the end of the year. I doubt we'll see a 16 port RAID card by then or at this point ever. Chances are I'll go adaptec unless anyone has any strong recommendations about a different card you'd recommend that will be available within the next few months. I'll be putting 12 6TB drives in my next system for about 60TB of useable disk space.

Maybe...we have not been briefed yet if that's the case, but that usually won't happen until a week or two prior.

So, I wonder if that was an April Fool's Joke... :D Almost three months later, still no 16+ port 963x controllers.

We've just started testing Adaptec controllers after a long hiatus from them. It would be nice to take a step back from LSI. Initially, it looks like their read performance is better than LSI, and their write performance is worse. That's with just a few quick and dirty tests, but the real question is how they hold up in a production environment, and what to expect in the event of something very unexpected.

If it was a joke I didn't appreciate their sense of humor. They said there would be an announcement on their facebook page the following month about LSI and the announcement was - hey here is a link to our website that hasn't been updated in about 8 months!

I would love if other people would post on their avagotech facebook page and ask for an update!

Edited by BOE