Dear friends..

I have to replace one drive ST3000DM001 , so I'm thinking about to get one ST3000VN000 (5900 RPM) or one ST3000VX000. I don't have to buy more ST3000DM001 since I have had issues with those drives.

One more question:

What can of problem could have if I mix hard drives with different RPM (5900 and 7200) under a RAID-5? (I have a DS413j)

TWO -> - 7200 RPM = Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST3000DM001

ONE -> - 5900 RPM = Seagate NAS HDD 3TB SATA 6GB NCQ 64 MB Cache Bare Drive ST3000VN000

Thanks for your posts.

This will work but it's not optimal or encouraged. The Synology will technically handle it just fine though.

Thanks for the both answers!

Now...

One more question. What about the "Seagate SV35 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6-Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive for Video Surveillance ST3000VX000"? It would be better than the NAS models? It is 7,200 RPM.

Thanks!

Yes it's better from an RPM standpoint but you're generally best off keeping the drives the same if possible for optimal performance. Now, being a NAS you may not care about performance as much and may prefer the power savings of the NAS drives. I wonder though if you should get two NAS drives and make one RAID1 volume and make another with the two 7K drives you have already? Just a thought.

That's is a good idea...

But I don't want to lose more space. With two RAID-1, I will lose the capacity of two drives. With one RAID-5, I will lose only one drive. I just need to replace a ST3000DM001 disk on my RAID-5.
I use my NAS for media, backup and other personal things. My video collection is more than 4TB.
By the way, Synology device makes an excellent job to handle media.

-

Yeah, there are a lot of ways you could go about this and true, the Synology is flexible enough to do it any way you want really.

Original poster, fill me in on your issues, or pm me. I have a lot of these dudes spinning and very full. (26+Tb)

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

About my experience with (3TB) ST3000DM001 disks, these ones had the firmware CC43. :angry:

I tried to recovery the disk with Seagate's tools, but I couldn't complete any of tests. The SMART features didn't work. One interesting thing was that the disks under Mac or Windows show a capacity of 4.14TB! (when it should be 3TB!)

According to Seagate support team, the firmware couldn't be updated, and the only solution was return the disks.

Mine chirp, click, tick, Whistle....

No errors. Nothing logged, kernel or smart, mdadm is happy on syncs..

Factory firmware. $30 pci express specials for 4 port cards.

I bought 4 more, added to array, reshaped to raid6, took about 10 days. Finally issued a resize2fs ( all online, mounted, samba/nfs, ext4) and I was ready to rip.

/me shrugs.

No backups either. I love it.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro