Sign in to follow this  
mattf789

Migration nightmare!

Hi all.

I've been trying to migrate a friend's Windows 7 HDD to a new SSD. I gather the best way to do this is to put the SSD in the laptop HDD bay, and connect the old HDD by USB. Then boot from the USB HDD and migrate with Acronis software.

My problem is that the laptop won't boot from the USB connected HDD. It either BSODs or hangs on the loading screen and goes to an error screen saying something about 'check cable' (I didn't write the message down, sorry). The cable is a USB2.0 to IDE SATA, purchased from EBAY. I would link to it but I can't seem to paste in to this window.

So my question is: Am I doing something wrong, or is a dodgy cable?

TIA,

Matt

In most cases I'd suggest forgetting the cloning software entirely and going with a fresh install. It's a pain yes, but if the OS is even a year old it's probably worthwhile.

If that's untenable for some reason, then with Acronis and others, you typically boot from the HDD as normal, connect the SSD over USB and clone to the SSD. Then swap drives and voila. Then you can use the old HDD for a USB backup or something else.

I'd say it's not seeing it then, should show you every device on your system.

Also, where did you get the Acronis license, did it come with the SSD kit or somewhere else?

When you are logged into Windows booting off your original drive, can you see anything even attached to the USB adapter? It might just not be compatible.

Did you try cloning "automatic" or "manual"?

I always use manual and it works pretty well, but I usually clone with the recovery thumb drive. Maybe you can create a bootable thumb drive.