Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elias

Changing pcb circuit on Seagate momentus

5 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody!

I have a question about my electricaly damaged Seagate momentus 5200 250gb.

I have changed the pcb with another pcb of the same model.The pcb DIDN'T have the same serial....the drive spins now but nothing else.My win pc see the drive o disc managment but it wont let me even initialiaze it.

Here is the question:Is it absolutely necessery to swap the bios chip from the one pcb to the other or if i find the exact same pcb circuit maybe the hdd will work without changing the chip?I m asking because the bios chip is probably destroyed from a mistake i did.... :D

Thanks in advance!!

1 person likes this

The PCB swap rarely works well. Sometimes it works fine but most often there are subtle enough differences between builds that it will not. I assume there's data on the drive you're trying to recover. What's going on?

Hello Brian ,thanks for the quick reply!!

Yes you assume right..I really want the data on the disc!But i want the exact same disc cause i need to perform a software recovery when i fix it.So in a few lines i need to find deleted data on my not working disc..... i know its long shot..... :P:P(A recovery data company is asking 500-1200 euros for the job )

But i think at the time the heads and the disc are ok.The old pcb is 100% burned(i can see it)...I think i will give a try to buy the exact same pcb and give it a try..Do you think that WITHOUT the bios chip swaped i have possibility to make it work?

Thanks!!!!

Guiderecovery i will probably be able to do that tommorow.I just wnat you to know that the broken pcb is not in a very good state.....I tried to remove the bios chip fromt he board,but the chip wasnt glued to the 8 pins but also to the board!!so i stressed it a lot...If i have to use that chip i dont know if it will work at all.....But if you have any other ideas i will be more than glad to hear them,,:)

Thanks for the reply!!

Sorry for the delay i was out of town!!:)Here are 2 pics of my burned pcb

In the up right corner is the place were the bios chip was (brutally:)) removed....Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

post-102247-0-30246200-1398171826_thumb.

post-102247-0-88254800-1398171861_thumb.

Edited by elias