Sign in to follow this  
Lao545

SSD Noob, I need HELP!

Hey guys!

First post on here so I hope I can find the solution.

Okay, I'm not going to spend ages on this as I literally just wrote it out, and I pressed Backspace but it went to the previous page (****!) soooo. Anyway, at the moment I'm running a 750GB WD Caviar Green HDD, which is all I have, running my OS, and everything else on. Very soon I was planning to buy an SSD, as I'm sick of Programs taking forever to load, and not respond e.t.c, and I've also heard that SSD's are just purely frickin amazing! So what I was planning was to have this SSD, and my HDD, and run my OS, and my most used programs on the SSD, then just games, bigger files on the HDD. But how? I've heard of this Data Migration Software, but apparently that copes ALL of your files from one storage device to another, but I don't want that. I just want my OS and other specific files on the SSD, then the HDD for general storage. So is it as simple as putting the windows disk in then rebooting the OS on the SSD, then place the programs that I want on the SSD from the HDD to the SSD? I just don't know! Please help me, I've looked everywhere for something similar to my situation, but can't find anything, or atleast I think I can't. WHAT CAN I DO!?

Thanks very much

I don't trust any programs that can migrate just programs. It depends on the program and OS, but IMO, it is better to take the time to reinstall it. Games might be easier to depending on how you installed them. For example, games through Steam are easy to migrate(see here)

I would:

1) Make backups of all important information

2) Install SSD and disconnect the hdd(prevent swindows from putting some boot files on the hdd)

3) Install windows

4) Install the hdd and assign it a drive letter.

5) Install what you want on the SSD. Programs on the old HDD shouldn't cause any conflicts so you can either just delete the folders or leave them there.

6) When installing new programs, make sure to verify the install path.

• Like 1

You can clone the entire drive to a new one, but when it's an OS involved it's my personal preference to start over clean. Odds are, especially if it's windows, there's plenty of nasty leftovers worth getting rid of anyway :)

I don't trust any programs that can migrate just programs. It depends on the program and OS, but IMO, it is better to take the time to reinstall it. Games might be easier to depending on how you installed them. For example, games through Steam are easy to migrate(see here)

I would:

1) Make backups of all important information

2) Install SSD and disconnect the hdd(prevent swindows from putting some boot files on the hdd)

3) Install windows

4) Install the hdd and assign it a drive letter.

5) Install what you want on the SSD. Programs on the old HDD shouldn't cause any conflicts so you can either just delete the folders or leave them there.

6) When installing new programs, make sure to verify the install path.

Yes, thats what I was hoping on doing, however I am also getting a new mobo, will I need a new Windows license key? (I've heard if you get a new motherboard you need to get a new license key) Apparently sometimes Microsoft can sort you out with one, I'm not completely sure about that though.

Yes, thats what I was hoping on doing, however I am also getting a new mobo, will I need a new Windows license key? (I've heard if you get a new motherboard you need to get a new license key) Apparently sometimes Microsoft can sort you out with one, I'm not completely sure about that though.

What OS? You will need to check the licenses terms.

IIRC, with Windows 7, you might have an issue with activation if the OS came pre-installed with the computer. However, you can always try the phone activation and tell them that the original motherboard broke. Windows 8 might not have to same restriction(so it might allow transfers).

When you swap your board you need to reactivate your Windows 7, I did this in January. My used copy was a System Builder edition you can buy in Germany without a PC. I just did a phone activation and everything worked fine.

• Like 1