Sign in to follow this  
nsrk

which RAID is suitable?

1)Which RAID is best suitable for below specifications for Complex IO systems?

**For a 10 TB disk

**protection against single drive failure

**speed is not required

**Low cost is desired.

** minimum wasted space

and also please let me know how to find model number, quantity, RPM speed, seek time and cost for the drive mentioned above.

2))Which RAID is best suitable for below specifications for Complex IOsystems?

**for a 2 TB disk

** best speed

** NO Redundancy

** minimum wasted space

If not RAID where SSD is used?

Edited by nsrk

Maybe an old school three disk RAID 5 for the first one and no RAID needed for the second one. If you want more performance then RAID0, but that introduces more complexity than you need for a 2TB volume. You could use SSD and RAID if you want performance in #2, but really hard to tell with the descriptions you have here.

RAID10 or RAID5 for the first. Run software RAID for the RAID5 (Linux RAIDZ or whatever is fine). If you have to pony up for a separate RAID controller then you may find just buying a 4th harddisk and running RAID10 is cheaper than a real hardware RAID controller.

For the second, RAID0 is fine, but how many IOPS do you really need? How much money do you have to spend? A single SSD is going to smoke any reasonable collection of 7200rpm spinning disks but as Brian said, we have nowhere near sufficient information on your workloads and budget to even hazard a guess.

and also please let me know how to find model number, quantity, RPM speed, seek time and cost for the drive mentioned above.
Any nearline disk should be fine. Seagate, Hitachi, and WD all have new budget "NAS" models, although beware many of them are 5400 or 5900rpm disks. If you need IO's then go 7200rpm disks, which will be a bit more to quite a bit more. Again, nearline disks from Seagate, Hitachi, or WD should be the way to go. (Toshiba too, although I am not familiar with their model designations).

In a simple 4-disk RAID10 or 3-disk RAID5 I highly doubt you would see significant performance differences between any of them assuming you are buying modern harddisks from each company's respective line-up.

1)Which RAID is best suitable for below specifications for Complex IO systems?

Cheapest T/€ seems to be 3T drives. I consider WDC caviar green (cheaper equivalent might be better)

For 10T in Raid 5 you would need 4 disks +1 Parity = 5 disks or 12T space

Considering green reliability I'd go for raid 6 = 6 Disks or 12T space + decent controler

that would be estimated cost 6x€100 + 1x€500 = €1100 or $1500

**For a 10 TB disk 12T

**protection against single drive failure 2 can fail

**speed is not required raid 6 ok

**Low cost is desired. not so low

** minimum wasted space 6T wasted on reduduncy

another option I would consider woudl be a Jbod of 5 disks and a ZFS sauce like Solaris or freeBSD (lower price of controler)

2)Which RAID is best suitable for below specifications for Complex IOsystems?

The fastest mechanical drive you can afford (or two in RAID 0)

As for SSDs maybe 4X256GB = €600 extended as single volume or in RAID0 (depending on controler availability)

**for a 2 TB disk 2TB

** best speed quite good

** NO Redundancy none

** minimum wasted space no waste

But of course as the other replies mentioned: what you want to do with them? Pro ? soho? enthousiast? OS used ? and what is the budget?

m a r c

Edited by lecaf