Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mh2452

Home storage NAS solution

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and new to the storage world.

Up until now I was storing my data on external WD 3TB drives, but this is getting very cumbersome. I am thus thinking about getting a NAS.

I have about 10 different disks containing my data (movies, music, personal movies etc) so that's 30th of raw data.

I am thinking about building my own NAS, with as much bays as possible in the minimum amount of space.

Obviously cost is a big concern too.

Any one can point me to the right direction (chassis, motherboards, fans, wires, disks, memory etc)?

Also how much do you think should I expect paying for it (let's say for a 45 drives)

thank you

For a 45 bay NAS you're talking pretty big dollars, but if you only have 30TB of data, and I wonder how much is duplicated, 45 bays seems more than excessive. What sort of budget do you have for this?

45 bays for a mere 30TB, as Brian says, is a little crazy.

About the only way to do so affordably is to roll your own, a la Backblaze.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

Given you can do 30TB raw capacity in an 8-bay off the shelf NAS with 8x4TB disks, and if you need 30TB usable in a fault tolerant setup of some sort, you could do that in a 12-bay or 16-bay off the shelf NAS with as few as 10x4TB disks... or rolling your own in an off-the-shelf computer case plus a few dumb SATA controllers (if you go software RAID)...

Not sure where you are, but right now Seagate NASworks 4TB disks are $150 a pop on Amazon... compared to all the extra hardware you need to do a 45-bay NAS, odds are good a more reasonably sized NAS with newer, bigger disks is going to at least be worth considering.