Brian

Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable Drive Review Discussion

Thanks to Brian and rcarlos243 in the discussion of the Samsung Spinpoint M9T, I got the confidence to buy this Seagate Backup Plus Slim for its internal 2TB drive.

Indeed, it has a standard SATA connector internally and since it is a mere 9.5mm tall, it fits nicely in any standard laptop.

Opening the Seagate Backup Slim was a straightforward matter of carefully separating the case with a slim screwdriver to get the adhesive to release. Hopefully I can still use the case as an external enclosure with a different drive.

I wonder how much Seagate's HDD sales will be mis-categorized because the M9T isn't in retail ;)

Great review Brian... I do wish that the review would plainly state that the internal HDD in the Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable's is the M9T.. Instead of just hinting at it by association to the Seagate Backup Plus Fast portable drive.

Right... And M9T is king of the 2TB Laptop or Game system upgrade field... But only available thru Seagate with their enclosure... Wonder how much longer they will keep it to themselves before selling them OEM... Will post a ? on the M9T thread regarding a maybe new & possible cheaper option to getting a M9T from Seagate...

We waffle on how much detail to present in reviews like this because most of the buyers don't care what's inside...you guys who are more enthusiast class will ask us to break it open in the forums, which we will ;) I have a feeling we're about to re-live this conversation in a few hours...you'll see.

We waffle on how much detail to present in reviews like this because most of the buyers don't care what's inside...you guys who are more enthusiast class will ask us to break it open in the forums, which we will ;) I have a feeling we're about to re-live this conversation in a few hours...you'll see.

lol.. Just glad u guyz don't mind breaking them open like u did with the 4TB version... Thanks.... Saves us voiding our warranty & ending up with what we don't want... Well internally...

I am wondering about a different Seagate model that might or probably comes with a differnt internal HDD...

Talking about the http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/expansion-fam/expansion-portable/en-us/docs/expansion-portable-ds1762-7-1402us.pdf aka 2TB Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STBX2000401). It seems this setup has 1 year less of warranty. And the HDD inside must be a 12.5mm HDD instead of the 9.5mm HDD that the Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable brings with it... Any chance this is the next review unit ???

Update: Guess u where talking about the Seagate 5TB review...

I will say that I would draw the line at being ask to take a Memory Card apart.. lol

Edited by Y314K

Great review Brian... I do wish that the review would plainly state that the internal HDD in the Seagate Backup Plus Slim Portable's is the M9T.. Instead of just hinting at it by association to the Seagate Backup Plus Fast portable drive.

Right... And M9T is king of the 2TB Laptop or Game system upgrade field... But only available thru Seagate with their enclosure... Wonder how much longer they will keep it to themselves before selling them OEM... Will post a ? on the M9T thread regarding a maybe new & possible cheaper option to getting a M9T from Seagate...

Little birdies tell me the OEMs have little interest due to the price structure presented to them. Also, there is no 9.5mm/2TB 2nd source available yet.

The 2nd source argument holds less weight these days as drive vendors diverge and offer unique technology. For mainline products sure, but if an OEM could gain market share by single sourcing a product, they probably would in unique use cases.

Hi.

I have the 2,5" Backup+ with 5TB.
Put the harddisk in my Notebook, and actually a Samsung 840 Pro in this case.

But maximum data rate between PC with 840 Pro and this 804 Pro in this case is ~200MB/s
But writing speed of 840 Pro is ~460MB/s. Is this case not for full speed USB3 with up to 640MB/s made?