Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemoes

Budget Raid Controller Recommendations

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm looking to build a home server, as part of the build I want to look at using a discrete raid controller that's capable of raid 5 and/or 6. I'll be using HDD's not SSDs for data storage so don't require 6.0Gbs performance. I have spent some time researching but am struggling to find a reasonably priced card that seems to offer decent performance.

Server Spec: Motherboard for the build is an ASUS P8B-M / Intel i3 / 8Gb Crucial UDIMM ECC RAM / WD RED 3TB HDD /Intel 3500 Boot Drive.

Can anyone recommend a 4/8 port Sata card that offers good read/write performance at a reasonable price? (IRO £120/$200)

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation. I've also been looking at the following cards:

• LSI MegaRAID MR SAS 8708EM2
  • LSI MegaRAID MR SAS 8308ELP
  • LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i SGL
  • 3ware AMCC 9650SE-2LP

Would anyone recommend one of these cards over the other?

Thanks.

Think I'll go for the MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2. Seems like a good budget option.

Does anyone know if this will support drives over 2TB?

Thanks.

I'd be weary of getting that old of a controller since it is around the time where most lost new firmware revisions that supported 2TB+. Is eBay an option for certain cards? One of my concerns around the 8708EM2 if you get an old-stock model is the battery is most likely dead.

Yes, ebay is option. I've seen the 9650 at reasonable prices would that be a better bet or should I go for something newer again like the 9240?

Thanks.

Those other three cards you list are ancient. Lack of driver and firmware updates would also be a huge issue, particularly given a lack of compatibility testing with modern harddisks (and worse, a lack of firmware updates to improve compatibility). I would stick with a modern card like the 9240.