muzicman82

Is it time to replace drives?

Hi all,

It's been a while.

I have a workstation built on dual Xeon 5345 CPUs and a HighPoint Tech RocketRAID 2210 SATA Controller. There are 4x Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 (7K1000) drives in RAID0. I'm not exactly sure what is going on but after a reboot today, the system booted up and the volume did not mount in Windows 7 x64. After another reboot, it showed up. Then after some time, it disappeared. I installed the HPT WebGUI and there was one failure entry in the Events log but it did not say why. Everything else says "Healthy". That said, the SMART info for each drive does contain some non-zero values for "Seek Error Rate", "Reallocated Event Count", "UDMA CRC Error Count", "RAW Read Error Rate", among others. Despite these errors, the WebGUI says the Status is OK next to each SMART Attribute.

Is it time to cut my losses and ditch these drives? I know I've heard before to just make sure they don't increase dramatically. Is there a utility I can run on the drives that will "stress test" them to see how quickly errors increase or change during a specific time frame?

Are drives with these sorts of errors OK for writing data to them and powering off for archiving?

if the whole volume isn't showing up at random, I would be wondering if the controller or something else might be at fault, as each drive failing simultaneously seems very unlikely.

I'd ditch that RAID controller in favor of an Adaptec or LSI model before I gave up on those drives ;)