Sign in to follow this  
cbrworm

Recommend a portable USB 3 hard drive to keep in safety deposit box

For my own, and many customer backups that don't have access to tape, we use enterprise grade 7,200RPM Hitachi SATA drives w/o enclosures. We have hot swap bays that they can be put into to run a backup and then be put into a cave.

I have a customer who is looking for a self maintainable quarterly backup solution that he can use to backup his backup machine (which contains images of all the workstations) and put in a safety deposit box. This would be 5 drives most likely, each of which would be used one time per year with one spare.

I was leaning towards a 2.5 inch bus powered solution, they need less than a terabyte, but looking towards the future, 2TB might be better.

I am concerned about the longevity of 2TB 2.5 inch drives, but would like to have a small solution that requires no power supply.

If this is a bad idea, I can point them in the direction of a 2TB 3.5" external drive - in either case, are there any that have proven reliable or unreliable?

I have a number of the Seagate 2TB Go Flex drives from a few years ago which have been working fine as well as some of the older 1&2 TB WD MyBook drives which also still work. - but they don't sit in cold storage for 11.5 months a year.

The 2.5" 2TB drives are band new, with the Samsung M9T being your only choice. We're testing it now and have three after disassembling the Seagate Backup Fast Plus we had on hand. Samsung does have a branded version in an external enclosure that is bus powered.

The other thing you might consider to lessen the fear, is this -

http://www.storagereview.com/newer_technology_guardian_maximus_mini_review

There you can get two 2.5" drives in RAID1 for a little more peace of mind. Or forget that and do twin backups on two different portable externals...

The 2.5" 2TB drives are band new, with the Samsung M9T being your only choice.

They are the only choice, when you need 9.5mm drive height, which is irrelevant for an external enclosure. 2.5in/15mm externals with 2 TB are available from Toshiba, WD and Seagate since Q2 2013.

My biggest suggestion is honestly buy whatever is cheapest, but rigorously test the drive before putting it into service. Pick your drive loadgen of choice (IOmeter, FIO, etc) and setup a job to just hit the entire surface with a sequential and random load. Let it run overnight (with some mild cooling around the enclosure) and check on it the next day. This will at least shed some light on bad sectors or problems out of the gate and limit the chance of the drive going DOA shortly after using it.