Brian

OCZ Announces Z-Drive 4500 PCIe SSDs with Windows Accelerator Software

8 posts in this topic

OCZ Storage Solutions today announced the availability the new Z-Drive 4500 PCIe series, an update to the successful Z-Drive R4. The Z-Drive 4500 uses 19nm Toshiba MLC NAND flash and is available in 800GB, 1.6TB, and 3.2TB. The Z-Drive 4500 integrates with OCZ’s new Windows Accelerator (WXL) Software, a flash management and caching solution for Microsoft Windows Server applications that can make the drive available as a local flash volume, a flash cache for HDD volumes, or both.

OCZ Announces Z-Drive 4500 PCIe SSDs with Windows Accelerator Software

Is this purely for enterprise environments or are there some scenarios in which it's suitable for end-users?

What price are we talking for the smallest capacity one?

Enterprise only. I guess you could jam one in a desktop and add quite a bit of cooling, but I don't see many use cases where the investment would make sense.

1 person likes this

Its not an issue of running hot compared to others. It is an issue of a card using about 15-25W and being designed to shed heat into airflow inside a server chassis. Desktop and workstation chassis don't have this type of front-to-back cooling setup that servers do, which would fry most of the PCIe solutions out there.

In terms of running hot, the Z-Drive R4 is one of the more conservative cards on the market right now.

You'd need to add some fans to that case that would make it sound more like a server and less like a HTPC ;)

Yeah only the best, high CFM yet very low noise, plus the ability to ramp right up & get very noisy + very windy* ;)

Done tonnes of research, much of the cooling will be done by a loop or 2, but I'll still have a good fan setup + controller + novel particle filtering.

All still on the back-burner, been sitting there for a few years now, need to get back to it ASAP! :-/

But yeah I digress, this SSD still sounds like it'd be pointless for that build...

Cheers.

*mainly with a different set of fans

Edited by jedH