Sign in to follow this  
Mkruer

Western Digital Purple (surveillance)

The only WD drives I am interested in have black or yellow labels, but the color scheme does make it easy for an average person to pick the 'right' drive. I didn't mind when it was black, blue or green and occasionally yellow. Now they are getting silly.

Ther should just offer "white" drives and allow you to jumper what you plan to use it for. This seems all firmware more then physical.

Edited by Mkruer

That would be funny. The parts are definitely not the same. Think platters that weren't good enough for Re being repurposed for Red for instance.

HAHAHA sorry for the LMFAO moment Brian. But this is exactly what I was saying in another post where a user reported slow access speeds of a black hard drive. I think either you or kevin defended WD there but not here. Interesting - maybe getting paid by WD? ;)

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/36356-wd1003fzex-slow-access-times-warning/

Let me quote what I wrote in that thread:

What I meant to say is they need to simplify their product lineup. Otherwise, we risk of having Yellow, Pink, Magenta and Golden (etc). as well in their product lineup.

Augmenting to that, the purple idea is just ridiculous, infact retarded. WD needs to get their act together. As for picking the hard drives based on colour, that doesn't tell anything to the "average" user. Hence they "have" to look at the benchmarks and details. And when they do that, then the purpose of a colour is defeated all together because then they know better regardless of the colour on the hard drive.

From WD's Ad:

WD Purple also includes firmware upgrades that protect against video pixilation and interruptions within a surveillance system.

OMGGGGG, when I play back a video stored on my seagate disk drive, the entire video is so pixellated and it's not even watchable. I have witnessed this issue with all of my seagate hard drives. 1080p looks like 240i.

Guys i have had it with WD. Yes the pipeline from Seagate is also "PURPOSE BUILT" for video recording but atleast seagate doesn't make retarded anti pixellation/improvement firmware claims on their drives. Please guys do test the purple drives to the greatest scrutinity with 0 sympathy given what WD is doing to their customers on their official forums (have you guys even read those?)

Edited by cppguru

Sorry, don't red mfg forums generally. As to Purple, get used to it. Seagate, HGST, WD and a toshiba are all going to offer more purpose built drives, not fewer. Not sure why you dispute their enhancements, but we're working on getting sets of both in for testing. As to WDs claims I'd assume they were comparing to prior generation drives.