Sign in to follow this  
Superdoc

What has linux got to do with Storage Administration?

Hi Everyone,

This might be irrelevant question on the forum but i couldn't find a better place, I'm a System Engineer for last 5 years and i'm making a move to SAN and Virtualization, Now i haven't seen a real SAN infrastructure setup nor worked on the control panel of any SAN appliance software, I was asked whether i had knowledge of Linux for the role of SAN administration, i had to tell them that unfortunately i never had any opportunity to work on linux till date on official worktime.

I'm curious to know what has linux got to do with Storage administration? where does it depend on linux?

Regards,

Edited by Superdoc

Many storage systems run on Linux and many servers that need to communicate with said storage use Linux. We use Linux for over half of our benchmarks.

Many SAN and NAS devices have an underlying OS that is Linux. No idea if they expect you to interact with those systems via CLI or some other...they all have GUIs of one form or another.

+1 What Brian has said. They probably have linux servers. When they want to add/remove/resize disks on this system, or troubleshoot performance, they'll want someone versed in Linux administration.

Any enterprise storage system will not require any linux experience. We are an EMC shop and 98% of everything I do is all GUI. You can do it all cmd line but who has the time for that. BTW, the VNXe services of controllers use Windows for the core. If they use a linux product like Nexenta then that's a completely different situation. If I may.. it sounds like you are trying to work on your skills that you are finding in job postings. Correct?

You can do it all cmd line but who has the time for that.   

/me shakes head

If you only knew how powerful piping a stream of data is... You'll learn, I hope.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Any enterprise storage system will not require any linux experience. We are an EMC shop and 98% of everything I do is all GUI. You can do it all cmd line but who has the time for that. BTW, the VNXe services of controllers use Windows for the core. If they use a linux product like Nexenta then that's a completely different situation. If I may.. it sounds like you are trying to work on your skills that you are finding in job postings. Correct?

VNXe and "Enterprise" Don't go in the same sentence. I've never seen a large/enterprise business without linux attached to storage somewhere.