Sign in to follow this  
smellyeagle

Multiple HBA incompatibility issue

I’m trying to run two HBA’s in the same server (SuperMicro X9SCA Mother Board) and am running into an issue where only 1 of the cards will initialize during the pre-boot phase of startup. The initialization is not random, but is instead based on the physical order of the cards in the server (Whatever is closest to the CPU boots). Unsurprisingly, the card that does not initialize is not seen by the OS.

One card is an LSI 9211-8i (SAS2008) flashed in IT mode, the other is a rebranded LSI 1068e (Dell SAS 6) still with default IR firmware. I’ve looked around google and can’t seem to find an answer as to why this doesn’t work, as the general consensus is that it shouldn’t be too much trouble.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by smellyeagle

What firmware revision is operating on both of these cards? Sometimes I have seen LSI SAS2 gear needs to operate on similar or up-to-date firmware to be fully functional.

Firmware on the 9211-8i is the latest, released in early 2014 I believe. The 1068e firmware is from 2008. I looked around on LSI's website for newer firmware and it looks like all they have posted are drivers.

Normally HBAs group together while going through post, while RAID cards go individually.

I have some updates. I was able to flash the 1068e with LSI SAS 3081E-R firmware back from August 2011 which is the most current firmware. Flashing went through without issue, but still there were the same problems. It seems like the firmware is trying to load both cards, but due to some incompatibility, cannot and so just boots the one. I thought this might have been due to an IR and IT incompatibility, so I reflashed the 1068e with IT firmware without success.

I wonder if this is an issue with a SAS (1068e) + SAS2 (SAS2008) incompatibility?

Should I be able to manage the cards from the same interface, or will I still need to press ctrl-c for each card? I've never had 2 LSI cards in the same computer at the same time before.

Each card will load individually, so you will need to press CTRL-C for each card to access its respective BIOS.