Tonyr570

got two ssd's cheap wich do I keep?

4 posts in this topic

So I've been hunting eBay for a new ssd for my laptop. I'm new to the solid state game but I spent a lot of time holding out waiting for a good deal. I paid 70 bucks for a 128gb Samsung 830 which I didn't think was too bad (feel free to tell me I got screwed by the way). Then the next day I had the opportunity to get a 120gb Samsung 840 series for the same price. I kinda impulsed on that one and just went for it. I figured I could probably get my money back on one by selling it with out much effort so now I have to pick one to use. Any thoughts? or pricing info? Did I make a mistake? Is it worth it to keep the newer model? I assume I should be able to get at least a little more for the 840 just based on what I've seen them go for. Also Both have guarantees on condition so if I get a piece of crap I can return it. Just looking for input and advice. Thanks.

I'd roll with the 840 and use the 830 for something else, perhaps put it in an external enclosure and use for backups? Reselling an SSD is a tough proposition if you can't return it.

A single 240+ GB SSD would have been a better investment of that money for sure. Always wait at least 24 hours to research and reconsider, no matter how good the deal is.

If that 840 is an EVO I'd keep the 830 instead. MLC > TLC.