35001VR

Samsung Spinpoint M9T

Got the Spinpoint M9T today, the first 9.5mm 2TB laptop drive. Seagate model ST2000LM003. I will install it into the optical bay of my laptop and run some tests when I have time.

From what I understand, there are multiple mobile external hard drives that have this drive install. LaCie, Samsung, and Seagate all have externals that are utilizing this drive. I have one of the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolts that has this particular drive installed. NewEgg has a deal right now for the Seagate in blue for $119.99, which is pretty decent considering how long we've had to wait to even see the drive by itself.

Even if you find it inside a portable, it won't have a SATA connection most likely, so you can't use it internally.

Despite its slim profile, the Spinpoint packs three 667GB platters. A 1.5TB version is also available, and both variants have 6Gbps SATA connectivity and 32MB of DRAM cache. The spindle speed is a sluggish 5,400 RPM, though.

Edited by Brian

Saw a post somewhere (was it here? Or somewhere else?) showing they had opened up a Seagate 2TB 2.5" external or something and it had a Samsung M9T inside with a standard SATA connector.

• Like 1

Saw a post somewhere (was it here? Or somewhere else?) showing they had opened up a Seagate 2TB 2.5" external or something and it had a Samsung M9T inside with a standard SATA connector.

please try to find out where that somewhere is LOL

I can confirm this.

I have just bought two Seagate Backup Plus 2Tb model STDR2000201 external drives (also described as SRD00F1) from Argos (LINK), and removed the hard drives, which are standard SATA hard drives, model ST200LM003.

"M9T" does not appear on the drive but it is definitely 9.5mm thick and googling STDR2000201 comes up with M9T.

I have put them in the old style, interchangeable connecter Backup Plus cases, so I now have two external 2Tb drives connectable by Thunderbolt, USB3, or FW800.

Thanks for the Argos link. I got one of the drives and after cloning my laptop's hard drive on to it I prised the casing apart (definitely an irreversible action as far as I'm concerned). The underside of the drive, the circuit board side, has a circular, white "Warranty Void If Removed" label with the legend M9T on it as well.

My laptop originally had a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVT, 250Gb installed which I replaced a couple of years ago with a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT, 750Gb. The latter ran rather hot, hotter than the original drive I think and probably too hot to sit the laptop on your lap. The Samsung is the same size as those drives and seems to run cooler than the larger one in my laptop.